Monday, October 29, 2018

When OK Is Not




I got a haircut last Wednesday but that isn't really what this is about. I actually liked it when I got all the gel that Kim, the Korean lady who cuts my hair, slathered on. My take is that if I like the result, I can make it a couple of hours before the shower washes it down the drain and Kim is great at what she does! That brings me to Thursday.... and Euphe. I should say here that Euphe is one of my all-time favorite students. I've written a blog about her kindness in bringing me a wonderful gift back from her homeland, China, two years ago. Twice she has been in my classes, as both an 8th grader and last year as junior in my Gospels course. Both times, she excelled. Her English is tremendous and she has the ability to be funny in her second language, a skill many can never master. Last month, I wrote her college letter of recommendation and it was a glowing piece of literature to accurately describe this young lady. But let's get back to Thursday.

It was lunchtime and I eat with the high school kids this year after five years with our elementary children. Euphe's path crossed mine between the salad bar and the soup station. She asked, "Did you get a haircut?" Instead of answering yes or no, I replied with, "Do you like it?" She gave me a quizzical look and said, "It's OK." I acted hurt- you know emotional I am. When the final bell rang several hours later, she came up to greet me like she always does and I reminded her that my feelings were bruised. Euphe told me, "Well, OK means better than average." I explained to her that it didn't. She then countered with saying my haircut was nice. I told her that was even worse! We laughed and parted ways until the next haircut or second language nuance lessons, whichever comes first.

Today at lunch, I told her she would be the subject of my blog tonight and I would make her look good which isn't hard. Euphe liked that and asked when it would be posted so she could read it. Here's what I learned from my recent conversations with this terrific young lady. First, don't ask a question if you don't want to know the answer. Usually, students will tell me great or awesome when I ask that question. OK just left me hanging. It also reinforced the complexity of language and how you might have to come from a culture to get all the idiosyncrasies involved in the native dialect. And as I mentioned before, Euphe has a very good grasp of English and as good a vocabulary as many American kids. You know what's funny? Euphe came up in my classes that same week as she has this time for the past several years. I reference her in the story of the sinful woman who washed Jesus feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. I make the point that hair to a woman is almost sacred, especially in certain cultures, and the girls all shake their heads in agreement. And that's when Euphe's name pops up. You see, she has the longest hair at WCS, almost to her knees, and has for several years. She'll never get it cut before graduation which is in seven months for her. But if she did and happened to ask me what I thought, I've got my answer already ready. "AWESOME!!" And that's not splitting hairs. 

Applicable quote of  the day:
“Every barber thinks everybody needs a haircut.” 
M.F. Moonzajer


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: