Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Price Of Grace And Air Fresheners






Several days ago in class, I asked some of my eighth graders the cost of a US postage stamp. The first answer? $2.50 or five times the price at current rates. Kids don't buy stamps anymore- I get that. Many also don't know where to buy them or where to put them on an envelope, either. I almost get that as well. Everything is electronic and digital and that's the world these kids have grown up in. There would be no excuse for me to not know how to address and envelope. We are what we have been taught and that has evolved over the past several decades.

That led to a later in the day discussion with one of my Gospels' classes made up of juniors. Let me set the stage a bit. I learned years ago that a classroom that smells good is a better learning environment than one that reeks. So, I began keeping several gel air fresheners spread around the room to improve the atmosphere. My favorite brand is RENUZIT and the favorite scent currently of my kids seems to be Hawaiian Sunset. I close them at night so they last about two-three weeks apiece and that's with a ceiling fan constantly in the on position. We've had debates in the past on whether it's best to have all the RENUZITS to be the same scent or different ones so we get a potpourri of aroma. (Usually, I have one air freshener in each of the room's four corners.) No consensus so I simply grab one off of the WALMART shelf during my weekend shopping trip and replace the dried out model. (Thanks to Jill, my wonderful teacher's aide, for the terrific photographic work!) Anyway, my room always has a pleasant fragrance. But back to the discussion. I asked the 11th graders how much one RENUZIT cost. The shocking answer from one soon to be college student? $12!!!!! The actual price is 97 cents, about 8% of what she guessed. I try to be generous with my classes and I love RENUZIT but I wouldn't have it in my budget to spend that much per week on air freshener. They must think I'm rich!

How little we sometimes fathom the cost of things. I taught an economic class where I told a young man to guess the price of a girls' purse that was in plain view. His estimate was $10 and the young ladies scoffed as the price tag, as I recalled, was closer to $300. That was a silly example but not all examples are lighthearted. Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost Of Discipleship spoke of what following Jesus would cost:
Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock. Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son: 'Ye were bought at a price', and what has cost God much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son too dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us. Costly grace is the Incarnation of God.”
Bonhoeffer touched on the most terrible cost ever at the close of his passage- what it cost for God to send His Son. We used to song the hymn, Jesus Paid It All. Not part, not most, not the overwhelming majority. All. This morning in worship, we sang Here I Am To Worship and that same theme was repeated in the refrain:
I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross

Truer words may never have been sung in any church assembly. I imagine we have no clue. We might be way off on the price of stamps or purses or even Renuzit but  those are eternally inconsequential. The cost to redeem lost humanity? Incalculable. That was the way it had to be. And we rejoice in our salvation because there was one who was willing to die for each of us, no matter the price.

Applicable quote of the day:
''Nothing that has value, real value, has no cost. Not freedom, not food, not shelter, not healthcare.''
Dean Kamen

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.haw;eybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: