Tuesday, July 17, 2018

KP Knows Where It’s At! (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis recently became parents to Connor! Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!

NOTE: My students know who KP is to this day!  This is a story from May of 2016 that got me to thinking about what we say – and what we don’t say.
Kid President is one of my absolute favorite "finds" in my teaching career.  If you do not know who he is, Kid President is really Robby Novak, is a young man who tells it like it is - his messages are inspirational, uplifting, and encouraging.  I started off Wednesday morning with my advisory students by watching "Kid President's 20 Things We Should Say More Often".  The list he provided included the following:
"I'm sorry."
"Please."
"Thank you."
Nothing (because sometimes we just need to listen)
"I have barbecue sauce on my shirt, too." (being there for others when they need it)
He has an amazing way of making his message so simple - it was obvious that my students made a connection!  We spend some time afterward talking about what we would add to his list that he did not mention.  They came up with some great responses:
"I was wrong."
"It's ok."
" I understand."
As I have processed our conversation over the last few days, I have come up with one more for myself - "I am worth it."  I am really good, at this time of year, at putting a great deal of time and energy into what i do at school - I strive to create the best possible environment for my students to live and grow.  In the shuffle of it all - being a teacher and a wife - I used to forget about myself sometimes.  I have since realized that I have to take care of me first – focus on what I need to do to be at my best.  This allows me to be a better teacher – a better wife – and a better me. I am thankful for the Lord’s unconditional love for me – He looks past my flaws and imperfections – he does not look at the outward appearance. He looks at the heart. He knows what I desire to be – a servant of His that shines His light in the darkness of this world. I think if the Lord has His own list – “The Lord’s 20 Things We Should Say More Often”, it might include “I love you, no matter what.”

mage result for kid president




God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: