Tuesday, July 03, 2018

A Fit Comparison



I've been hitting the local stores recently in order to get everything I need for my trip to Vietnam which commences in less than twenty-four hours. Everything does not simply refer to my supplies but also to a number of items for my church brethren in Asia. My shopping list for my Vietnamese friends involves dental products, vitamins, and Propel energy drink packets, none of which are easily purchased in Can Tho. If you follow me on Facebook, you might have noticed my packing issues. I have more than 110 t-shirts to take NOT including my own clothes. The good news is that I think I can make it work!

Several days ago, I noticed a chip of paint missing on the driver's side door handle of my 2010 Honda Fit. I'm prepared for these emergencies! As soon as I arrived home, I took out my specially ordered tiny bottle of light blue Honda Fit touch up paint and fixed the blemish, even before I went inside. It dried quickly and evenly and is barely visible. The truth is, it was barely visible before I fixed it. Within two days, I had to make yet another trip to one of the big WALMARTS for one more thing. There, to my surprise, was a Honda Fit JUST LIKE MINE! Same light blue color and everything with the exception of slightly different hubcaps. Guess what I immediately started to do? You already know. I began looking for imperfections in my twin vehicle; nicks, scrapes, dents. And I saw a few, not unlike my own eight year old vehicle. Do you know how many others I inspected in that parking lot, of the multiple dozens? None. I didn't care about them. I wasn't trying to bring them down to the level of decay I see in my mode  of transportation but that car that has the audacity to look like mine? That's another story!

Of course, it's not just cars. We subtly, or not so subtly, looks for the flaws in others.  Funny, it seems we're often more critical of  family and friends than mere acquaintances. This even seems to be true with congregational brothers and sisters. There are plenty of Biblical exhortations to build each other, to treat others with love and respect, to be careful in judging. Jesus spoke about specks and sticks in eyes but He left it open that the goal was to help our brother/sister. (Sometimes the pendulum swings too far back the other way. I had a conversation many years ago with one of my players who was beside herself in front of our locker room mirror, bemoaning a facial blemish that was invisible to me!) What if the owner of the other car had come out when I was giving his ride the once over. Do you think I would have said, "Hey, sir. Have you noticed that ding in the back rear door?" Even I'm not that dumb. But if he or she is like me, they already know. Sometimes I need to just overlook some stuff as I walk through the parking lot of life. And I pray you'll show me that kindness in return. I'm not sure I want a real close inspection.

Applicable quote of the day:
“Do yourself a favor; never compare yourself to others because comparison swallows your God given gift.” 
Euginia Herlihy

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com





No comments: