Tuesday, May 29, 2018

What My Dentist Said Today


This is a continuation of last night's entry. Today, I continued to scratch stuff off my to-do list. I wrote a bunch of thank you notes, a big task for me this time of year.  I spent quite a bit of time with Ann Stone, our church accountant and keeper of my mission funds, preparing for my VISA application which I will hand deliver to the Vietnamese consulate in the morning. But the main item on the Tuesday list was a dentist appointment. It's been, if I'm correct, seven years since I had any real work done. My long term dentist, Dr. Campbell, retired and then my next dentist retired after only about a year so I'm on my third in two years. I really am blessed with my new dentist, the first woman of the estimated eight I've had in my life. She is kind and has a good chair-side manner, always apologizing when she thinks I'm in pain. (That seems a common trait of all in the profession!) The procedures took a little less than two hours, on both the upper and lower part of the right side of my mouth. It required a good number of shots for pain but after several hours, I'm able to move my face again. One more visit in three weeks and I'm done for the summer. Here's where we should always add, LORD WILLING!

I mentioned that this was sort of a sequel to last night's devotional. Yesterday, I witnessed a mom in a grocery store continually curse at her children in the most vulgar way for at least ten minutes and I was appalled. My new dentist, it turns out, is also a mom. She has two teenage sons who are still in school this week. While my temporary crown was setting and there was a gap in the process, she stepped out and had a phone conversation with one of her two boys who apparently had arrived home from school. It was one sided and I could not really tell what the topics were. (You have to remember I was a captive audience and not an intentional eavesdropper!) But this really impressed me in the two or three minute chat; five times she said, "I love you, son." Five times. When she came back in, I told her as best I could considering my oral condition that I could tell she was a good mother from what I was privy to in the phone call. She was startled that I heard- I guess you have to tune out stuff in an office. Then she made this statement: "My sons are the most important thing in my life." I could tell they are her priority. She related their summer plans, her rules for their use of money, and the conditions of having friends over. And I left the office this afternoon feeling like she's a good dentist but a world class mom. Her kids hit the jackpot in the mother lottery.

Sometimes as teachers, we talk about the tough lives our students are navigating. I often wonder what the outcome would be if the child were being raised in a more stable setting, if situations were reversed with a functional family. Jesus spoke many times of the value of children. The Bible is full of stories of moms and dads who prayed for children and then raised them according to God's plan. It starts with love, I'm convinced. A child who is wanted and guided and respected has a much better chance in the world. I'm coming from the viewpoint of someone with no children but I'm also not blind. A child who is constantly told they are loved has a huge advantage over the one who is the target of constant profanity. I'm pretty sure that's an advantage with no expiration date. My choice of dentists hinged on our school insurance. She is setting up her children to be covered by the best insurance policy of all- the love of a parent.

Applicable quote of the day:

Let France have good mothers, and she will have good sons.
Napoleon Bonaparte

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks/com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: