Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Dave And Kaeden



We're almost finished counting our Honduras/Haiti money for the 2018 collection. I said ALMOST because it keeps coming in! A first grade angel named Reagan brought her bank bottle to my door this afternoon accompanied by her teacher, Mrs. Sarah Romain, who happened to be my student a few years back! As she walked out, Sarah lifted Reagan up to touch our LUKE 18:1 sign on the door, a tradition we've had for close to two decades. Reagan looked back at me and asked if she could bring her bottle back if she acquired some more pennies. Of course! But I also reminded her that she can save it for next year. Tomorrow night, Ryan and Jo Lynn are going to bring their daughters and their bottles for the fourth year in a row! Ryan is a WCS alumnus and even though his and Jo Lynn's two girls go to another school, they are integral parts of what we do in this annual project. So, if they bring it, we will count it!

That brings me to Kaeden, who is only seven years old but has already been the subject of two of my previous blogs. He's a Westbury Christian first grader and his three sisters are our students as well. On top of that, his dad, Kenneth, teaches and coaches for us and his mom, Lynnette, is the head of our PTO! Do you remember that beverage commercial with The Most Interesting Man In The World angle? That's Kaeden, substituting Child for Man. He acts like I don't exist and yet there is obviously a thought process going on that isn't always evident to grown ups. Two weeks ago, Kenneth related some things to me about Kaeden and his Honduras/Haiti bottle. It was so intriguing and touching, I asked Kenneth to write it out and allow me to print it in a devotional. Here it is:

During Christmas when Kaeden was three, I gave him three envelopes that came from a Financial Peace Jr. Kit by Dave Ramsey.  The envelopes were titled "Give, Save, Spend".   I showed him that when we get money we are to divide any it into the envelopes in the order of give, save, and then lastly, spend.  He works off of commissions in the house, meaning that if he works, he gets paid and if he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid.  He will do certain chores around the house as well as extra things like, clean the car, or flatten boxes to recycle for a dime a box.  It has taken time to build some consistency using the system, but he is starting to get really good at it now at age 7.  The whole purpose for teaching him this is for Kaeden to be able to use money as a tool to further the kingdom of God, and not let it enslave him as it has done many in this world.  I also want him to have the discipline of giving because that is what Jesus did, and I want him to become more like Him.  A few weeks ago I had a real proud dad moment when Kaeden asked "Daddy, can I put all the money that I earn in the Honduras bottle?"  I was touched as a father because he was genuine in his request.  He really wants to help those who are in need.  He may not understand fully what he is doing now, but I pray that he will continue to have this attitude as he grows and matures as a man of God.

WOW. I've penned several entries about Dave Ramsey, a financial planner who puts the Lord at the head of all his advice. Several schools where I've taught have used his materials to teach wisdom in money. I've never heard a child as young as Kaeden being trained this way and like Kenneth says, it's a process. (One of my blogs about Kaeden from two years ago was about his trying to hide money he was supposed to put in the collection plate!) But for a child to have the unselfish heart Kaeden is displaying is just amazing. I've found little ones are much more generous with money because they know their moms and dads will provide for them, sometimes with the parental alter ego of The Tooth Fairy. Shouldn't we have at least that much faith in our Father? Jesus told us that your Father knows you need themThem is the necessities of life. Kaeden gets it. And so, youngsters in Haiti and Honduras that Kaeden will never meet will be blessed. Maybe that's why the Savior preached that the kingdom of heaven belongs to little children. I'd say it's in very good hands with Kaeden.

Applicable quote of the day:
It is the heart that does the giving; the fingers only let go.
Nigerian proverb

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: