Thursday, April 19, 2018

The Recommendations


Yesterday, I talked to the students in my Gospels' classes about college letters of recommendation. Although they are still only juniors, they need to be thinking seriously about who will be the one/ones to brag on them to the admissions offices of institutions of higher learning across the nation. We talked about the importance of having someone in their corner during this  very critical juncture of their lives; someone who will go to bat for them in an arena that is tremendously competitive. So, for their bonus question on the memory verse of the day, 1 Peter 2:9, they wrote five positive statements about themselves they would want me to include should I write their letter of recommendation for admission into the incoming freshman class of __________ College/University starting in the fall of 2019. Here is one from each, anonymous and used by permission:

-I am not the smartest person but I am a fast learner!
-I came to the US knowing no English but I learned and I am still getting better!
-I enjoy diagnosing and helping people with their social problems.
-I know I'm not the best writer but I work on it with my tutor almost every weekend!

-I try to be as modest and humble as I can be!
-Traveling and the people around me have opened my eyes to be accepting
 and open-minded!
-I am adaptable and coachable in any sport I play.
-I used to be very shy but now I am meeting new people!
-I like to know the why and not just the what.
-I'm not a great writer BUT I am observant!
-I like to think and act in a logical way.
-I want to make others feel good about themselves.

-I am willing to take and utilize my opportunities to the fullest.
-I don't like to do anything half-way.
-I will always protect the people around me.
-I excel in non-confrontational tactics.
-If silence were golden, I would be really rich!
-I like to study different cultures and use what I learn.
-I like cooperation because that's how society works.
-I love to learn new things everyday, whether academic or life issues.
-I am good at settling issues between other people.
-I am a hard worker who bases my schedule around school and others.
-I don't let bad days affect my work ethic.
-I have family all over the world and I am good at resolving the problems that can come from that.
-I have learned from sports to work with teammates I don't get along with.
-I am an explorer, always curious to learn about the mechanical and natural world.
-I love doing community service.
-No one expects me to succeed BUT I KNOW I WILL!
-I take on leadership positions and assume a mothering/big sister role.
-I look at the bright side of things, even when I want to cry.
-I am least likely to give up.
-I am a leader who doesn't blindly follow others.
-I am still finding myself but I encourage and support others!
-I know how to forgive.
-I put a lot of effort into every assignment!
-I've dealt with pain my whole life so nothing fazes me.
-I am not afraid to take risks and my family is central to my life.
-I have the tendency to be goofy and energetic but I know when to stop.
-I am willing and open to learn from my mistakes.
-I always help my fellow students with their math!
-I am an avid reader who can read 2-3 books per week.
-I am honest and willing to challenge myself.
-I am a leader although you might think I'm a follower!
-I will never turn my back on a friend or family member.
-I am not good at sports but I always try  my best.
-It is really hard to make me quit because I am persistent.
-I am always energetic and I love to make new friends.
-I am respectful of myself and others.
-I am open minded and always willing to try new experiences.
-I work every day to make my parents proud of me.

During my sixth period class, I asked Euphe if she thought anyone would know her statements were hers if I typed them anonymously and posted them on the wall. She didn't think so and I would agree. We teach kids, and rightly so, that humility is a virtue. Jesus said if we exalt ourselves we will be humbled and that's not something we relish. But these students know their strengths and shared them with me. I told them it's an honor to be asked to be the teacher who puts these thoughts to paper on their behalf. I also told them I would like a t-shirt from the school they choose and which chooses them if I write their recommendation. So, in parting, I leave these rising seniors with two letters to remember me by: XL.

Applicable quote of the day:
“The primary purpose of going to college isn't to get a great job. The primary purpose of college is to build a strong mind, which leads to greater self-awareness, capability, fulfillment, and service opportunities, which, incidentally, should lead to a better job.” 
Sean Covey


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com




No comments: