Friday, March 23, 2018

Spelling Bee


We had the Love Board up in my room again this year-  a good number of the kids proclaimed their everlasting devotion to their significant other. We all wish it was that easy. Below is a story of a student and her parents, from March 27, 2007.


It was one of those notes/prayer requests on quizzes that wound my heart. This week, a girl in one of my classes summed up her life with these words:
"Coach, please pray for my family because my parents may be splitting up."
I don't know the mom or the dad but I know their daughter. She's a great kid who just wants her folks to stick it out, to give it one more try. She's not taking sides unless you take the view that it's selfish for a child to want to keep a family unit intact. She isn't blind; she can read the handwriting on the wall and probably wishes she was illiterate when it comes to the dissolution of a marriage. In Tammy Wynette's country classic, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, parents spell out words so their four year old son is protected from the impending breakup; words like S-U-R-P-R-I-S-E and every child's favorite word, C-U-S-T-O-D-Y. The young lady in my Bible class knows how to spell. She is most likely to learn the meaning of a new vocabulary word; H-E-A-R-T-B-R-E-A-K. Please keep her in your prayers. Her name is ...............


Applicable verse of the day:
"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel.
Malachi 2:16


Applicable quote of the day:
"A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you."
Margaret Atwood


To listen to Tammy Wynette sing D-I-V-O-R-C-E, copy and paste this link!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRis1kfzD-I

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/

E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: