Monday, February 19, 2018

The Integrity Of Cyrus Field


Several days ago, I was watching you tube while eating my supper. My dining fare was American Experience, a PBS documentary series focusing on American history. The topic of that particular episode was Cyrus Field, a New York financier who was the primary force behind the laying of the trans Atlantic telegraph cable, linking the US and Europe. It was a fascinating story and I learned a good deal- the former history teacher in me is never far from the surface! Field was dealt a number of defeats in his quest but after roughly a decade of disappointments and setbacks, was able to see his dream of linking east and west come to fruition. It would not be an overstatement to say that that this adventure changed the world.

The most impressive part of the Field narrative, though, had nothing to do with oceans and cable. In the introductory section of the film, the story is told of Field buying a nearly bankrupt paper company at age twenty. As the new owner, he agreed with the creditors for 30 cents on the dollar to settle debts. Within several years, the company was turning a profit so Field did something few would do. Even though he had no legal obligation to do so, Field returned to those creditors and paid off the entire debt. The narrator commented how that act gave the still young entrepreneur tremendous respect and credibility in the New York business community. Would any of those who had accepted the 30 cent solution expected Field to have made this next step? My guess, not being in the world of commerce, is no; the narrator made it seem like this was far from common. My guess is also that that type of integrity in the market place is even harder to find today.

I spent some time at the beginning of each of my classes one day this past week talking about integrity. The day before, I had seen some suspicious  behavior in one of my five periods so it was as good a time as any to preach. I told them that every situation I see them in is recorded in my mind; in the classroom, with a teacher in the hallway, on the basketball court or on the football field, standing in line in the cafeteria, interacting with their peers. The perception of any hint of dishonesty colors my view and anyone else who would hold high expectations for them. There are kids I expect are always honest and those I believe are honest only when it is convenient or to their benefit. Some youngsters I trust implicitly and some I watch closely. Truth be told,  I might be pleasantly surprised with some and with some, bitterly disappointed. 


I tell my students John the Baptist would never get a preaching job today- yelled at leaders, dressed like a caveman and ate like a survivalist, went to jail. But, along with proclaiming that Jesus was the lamb of God, John stressed honesty and integrity to those not noted for those traits, soldiers and tax collectors. What a good lesson for us two thousand years later. Every profession needs those same instructions; dentists, lawyers, salesmen, preachers, coaches, teachers. Integrity derives from the Latin integer meaning wholeness. When we have integrity, we are whole and complete. When we lack integrity, we lack closure in our character. There are gaps for dishonest thoughts and actions to seep in and out. If we were more steeped in integrity as a culture, I wouldn't have the need to move desks apart and require all the kids to grade their quizzes in brown markers to make cheating harder. We wouldn't have to constantly change passwords and we could leave our car doors unlocked. Our Father in heaven knew- the Ten Commandments dealt with integrity matters like stealing and lying and adultery. The problem is ancient but so is the solution. In fact, the solution is etched in stone.

Applicable quote of the day:
If I were asked to say the most important things that lead to a successful life, I should say that, first of all, was integrity - unimpeachable integrity. 
Charles M. Schwab


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail m e at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: