Thursday, January 04, 2018

When Time Speeds Up



I'm back off the road and becoming reacquainted with bachelor life. I spent almost two weeks living out of a suitcase with my brothers/sisters-in-laws and their extended families. It was great as always! Most of the time when I'm not at school or in worship/Bible study, I'm by myself and it's good for me to break out of my rut. It takes me at least one day to get back on track in Houston. My refrigerator is empty, there is laundry to be done, and as an added twist, I have jury duty tomorrow! I've been able to get quite a bit accomplished the past two days, my first days really of break for me since the not on the calendar vacation that was Hurricane Harvey. School- and basketball- start back next week so it will be back to the routine I know very well.

I need to let you know that I'm not good with clocks. The clock in my car is an hour off for half the year, as is the one on my stove, as I simply don't know how to reset them with the onset of Daylight Savings Time. I can tell time at my laptop but I'm not always logged in and I rarely have my phone turned on. That leaves one main source of the accurate time for me- the digital clock by my bed. (I should interject here that due a quirk in my makeup I keep that timepiece at twenty-two minutes ahead of the correct numbers.) When I returned to Houston about forty-eight hours ago, I noticed something odd; my digital clock was about five hours ahead of time. At first, I thought the electricity had gone off but the clock wasn't blinking as it does with a loss of power. I reset it (at +22 of course) and guess what? It has already gained fifty plus minutes or slightly more than a minute an hour since I walked back in my door. To be honest, the way I set it makes it never right but now, it's more wrong than I want it to be!

As has become the go-to solution nowadays, I entered the following into the search on my Internet: Why is my digital clock running fast? What I found was that this question is not uncommon and the answer seems to be tied into  the electrical current in one's living quarters. I have to admit I got lost in the technical jargon but I'm comforted in knowing it's not my imagination! I used to not believe the standard wisdom that time speeds up as you get older; I've changed my mind. Birthdays and holidays seem closer together than in years past. School years are almost over before I know it and the kids I coached in sixth grade are graduating from college. My dad told me that when we get older, we have a better idea of what our purpose on earth has been so maybe that's a part. The scriptures speak of time frequently from Genesis to Ecclesiastes to the admonition of James to add Lord willing to our plans because we are clueless about tomorrow. We know certain things  will happen scripturally but we don't know if they will come to pass in our lifetime. One thing is for certain- if we live long enough, we'll die so we are all on the clock. Maybe ours is running faster than we know. The time will come when only one thing will matter and that's how we spent the minutes/hours/days/weeks/months/years of our lives. The clock is ticking.

Applicable quote of the day:
Calendars and clocks exist to measure time, but that signifies little because we all know that an hour can seem as eternity or pass in a flash, according to how we spend it. 

Michael Ende

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: