Monday, November 20, 2017

Standing Among Us


Our WCS 2017 football season is in the books. The Wildcats lost a tough game this past Friday to a squad from San Antonio in the first round of the state playoffs. But it was a big deal as we hosted a postseason game for the first time in the twenty-year history of our program. Great things are ahead for our gridiron teams!

I used to be a part of the game crew, being on the first down chain gang the first sixteen years we had football which coincided with my moving to Houston. In the past four seasons, we have partnered with Houston Baptist University (HBU) and play our home games in their very nice stadium and our coaching staff has turned to parents to man the chains, a decision with which I agree. During games, I stand on the rail between the lower bleachers and the upper stands. Several weeks ago, I was manning my spot when one of our other coaches came up to me and asked,
"Hey, did you see -----------?"

The name that goes in the blank is a very well known American woman, an icon of the 1980s. She and her husband live in Houston and her daughter apparently is a cheerleader at the school which served as our opponent. I looked to where he was pointing about thirty feet away and I instantly recognized her. She had once been all over the magazines and ads, always a very wholesome figure. She was easy to spot, a friendly face with a glowing smile. I unobtrusively watched her for awhile and saw her interacting with the crowd, some wanting to take her picture. I thought she was amazingly gracious and kind. In my classes, we talk about what it would be like to be a celebrity, always recognized in public and having to deal with a real lack of privacy as well the dangers which can accompany fame. Still, most of us would love to give it a shot, just to make sure to see what we are missing. I thought the celebrity in the stands was a perfect example of how to comport yourself in public. My hope is I could do the same in the very small chance the need would ever arise.

Here is something I found interesting. I had seen the lady when I walked up the ramp to the stands. She was simply another fan at a high school game until her name was made known to me. I could have had a conversation with her and  nothing would have clicked in my brain. It took the revealing of her identity for me to make the connection. Then, of course, it became obvious when I started looking for the traits and features I remembered. In retrospect, I am reminded of what John the Baptist was preaching about the messiah. Speaking with the religious leaders commissioned to question him, John the Baptist stated this in John 1:26: 
"I baptize with water," John replied, 
"but among you stands One you do not know."
The people were almost universally looking for the promised one but even though He was in their midst, most did not come to the same conclusion John did, although we are told John received a sign from the Lord. I wonder if I had been told the lady was someone famous, if I could have figured it out. I tell my middle school students they might be sitting next to or in the same class with their future spouse; predictably, most are appalled. But when I ask them if they were told by the Lord, that what I stated was true, would they treat the other gender with more respect? Of course they would! I'm not sure John convinced anybody to look closer for the Savior but they couldn't say they weren't warned! When we play that school again, I'll be keeping a sharper eye out for the incognito celebrity. I won't ask for an autograph but I might make some more observations. Amazingly, none of my students knew who she was when I mentioned the incident in class. I hope they won't say the same thing about Jesus. I always try to point Him out.

Applicable quote of the day:
When you become a celebrity, the world owns you and your image. 
Megan Fox

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: