Friday, November 24, 2017

Garmin Upgrade


I'll leave for Houston every early tomorrow morning. It's been a quick six day visit to Kansas to spend time with my brothers and their families. This has been ten straight Thanksgivings in Wichita so I guess that qualifies for tradition status. I've filled up the gas tank and bought my two cups of Starbucks for my departure. Scott changed a bulb for my high beams so I should be visible for miles on the Kansas plains when I head down I 35 South. Please pray for my safety and for the safety of all driving this holiday season.

Two years ago, I bought a Garmin GPS system while I was here staying with Scott and Karen, much like the one pictured at the top of this page. It was purchased after the receiving of a gift card, very unexpectedly, from the parents of one of my students. It works wonderfully but I've noticed recently that it was off slightly. For example, exit numbers have changed, particularly in the Dallas area. I found online that you can update your Garmin by plugging your device into your laptop and following a few simple steps. I should note here that you means someone else than yours truly. In my case, the someone else turned out to be my wonderful niece, Karis, who is very tech savvy. It took fifteen minutes or so last night for everything to be registered and uploaded but in no time at all, my system now has all the up to the minute satellite maps. No chance of me getting lost now!

Truthfully, I probably would make it fine without the new information being added to my Garmin. 
I would guess I've made this trip 45-50 times over the years and I can do it in my sleep or at least most of the way. But there are times when detours might pop up or accidents cause changes in plans. Construction never ceases and the unpredictable is to be expected. It's wise to keep learning and improving for any number of reasons. It's the same with our spiritual lives. Never are we told to come into communion with Christ through His blood and just stagnate. We are to grow. When Paul wrote to Timothy to 'Study to show yourself approved unto God....,' Timothy was already a member of the body of Christ. Paul expected his protege' to keep maturing in the faith. He was in Christ but he wasn't to be in neutral in his spiritual life. We are the same. We don't know what's ahead but we have the best guidance system ever in heaven. But we have to be attuned to the paths we are to walk, the paths Jesus described as narrow. We will never reach the stage where we don't need His help but we have to be in the mindset to be receptive. My Garmin needed the upgrade. So does my heart at times on the way to the only destination that matters.

Applicable quote of the day:
It finally happened. I got the GPS lady so confused, she said, "In one-quarter mile, make a legal stop and ask directions."
Robert Breault

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: