Friday, August 25, 2017

Signs Of A Sister


Over the years, I've compiled quite a list of traditions in my classroom. Boys stand up when girls walk in. Touch the LUKE 18:1 plaque on the door when you exit. A bonus question on every quiz and memory verse. Febreze Day. Counting Honduras (and now Haiti) pennies. There are others but I don't want to bore you. About five years ago, I added another activity which has become a tradition. On the second day of school, almost always a Friday at WCS, my students sign in on the wall. Now about twelve layers deep, we cover the wall by the door with artwork and over the years, we've added to it so it might be compared to an archaeological dig site. (Truthfully, it's easier to take it down every several years than every time we want to add a layer. As long as the stapler can still go through to the wall, we'll keep going!) When they sign in, they trace either a circle or square and write a few items of interest about themselves inside the lines. I give few instructions; that will come with future assignments.

One reason I start the year in this way is that I can learn some things abut my new students and they can share some things with both me and their peers who are practical strangers at this point in time. I give our international students the  option to do part of it in their native tongue except for their name but none take that route. One thing I like is that the students will walk around before class and see what the others have penned. Like I implied, it's a get to know each other exercise. But many of the youngsters already know each other and some very well. Of the close to ninety teens on my roll sheets, we have several sets of siblings including one set of twins. Mostly it's one eighth grader and one junior. That's where Sydney and Kendall come in. I've known both of them practically all their lives. Sydney played basketball for me in 6th-8th grade and was a student in my 8th grade Bible class. Now she's a junior in Gospels. Younger sister Kendall is an 8th grader and this is the first time I've ever been around her in an academic setting. That's their sign-ins at the top of this page from last Friday. A close look shows they have many things in common; cheer, softball, volleyball. (You might notice Sydney got in a shoutout of my unrequited love for Colombian songstress, Shakira!) Even their handwriting is almost interchangeable. But those nuggets have nothing to do with why I'm writing this tonight. You see, at the bottom of her intro, Sydney wrote
"I heart my sister Kendall smiley face"
And at the bottom of Kendall's circle, she reciprocated with
"I love my sister Sydney smiley face"
I think that's really neat. At that age, I would never have expressed any love for my siblings and although I realize girls are more likely than boys to be open emotionally, I still think that's really neat.


Some of my favorite kids to coach have been sisters who played for me at the same time and they have been a joy. Brothers who have played concurrently for me? Not so much! The two sets of sisters we know in the Scriptures- Mary and Martha, Rachel and Leah- both were in tense situations though over different circumstances. Rachel and Leah trying to share Jacob would likely test the loyalty of any sisterhood bonds but I think even that Kendall and Sydney could navigate. (I'm sure their wonderful parents hope the boy stage is delayed as long as possible!) Sydney as elder could be the domineering type but she isn't. Kendall as the baby could be the annoying type but she sure doesn't seem to be! It may seem a simple thing to get along with your sister (or brother) but it's not. My students already have seen horror stories among their relatives of familial strife and in those situations, there are no winners. Sydney and Kendall even at their tender ages get it right and are not afraid to proclaim it. There's a lesson in there for us older folks.

Applicable quote of the day:
A sister is both your mirror - and your opposite.
Elizabeth Fishel


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


No comments: