Monday, August 21, 2017

Basketball And Bracelets

We are three days into what promises to be a very exciting and rewarding school year! I really like my five Bible classes and I really love my basketball team. We have a practice period built into our day just for practice so we are together all year. When you factor in that it's first period and they have to change into school uniforms for the rest of the day, it's only a thirty five minute time frame but I do get to be with them every day. On Thursday, we just talked and I stressed two points:
A. The biggest distraction is BOYS
B. What do you call someone late for work? UNEMPLOYED
I think they got the message!

On Friday, we came ready to practice! We went over some procedural stuff and then I gave out practice gear, shorts and practice tops. We look good! I put the girls through some very basic things just to see what kind of hand I've been dealt. (Quote from Hoosiers!) When we finished, we stacked it up and prayed and enjoyed our traditional Friday morning Capri Suns. It was a good day.

Here's where I should point something out. Our 2017-2018 WCS MS Lady Wildcats only has seven players. There was no trying out- if you signed up, you made it! I told the girls that small teams get more work in and they all will play a great deal. It will be a good year. We will improve and have fun which is what matters at this age. On Friday, as I usually do, I gave the seven girls and our wonderful student coach, Taylore, a small gift. Each received a beaded key chain made by the three sisters in Vietnam. (If you are a regular reader, you know what I mean.) But that wasn't the only gift exchange. Seventh grader Kaylin brought new wrist bracelets for her teammates AND the coaching staff! Get this- Kaylin made them herself! You can see mine at the top of  the page! I'll bet we are the only team in Houston- or maybe Texas- outfitted with such cool gear. You know the old saying: The team that looks good, plays good. No doubt about our season now!


One thing I like about these bracelets is that they identify the people on our fledgling squad. One of my favorite sports' quotes is this:
The only team that matters is the one you stack it up with.
That said, our girls all play on other teams as well; volleyball, soccer, softball, etc. But they should matter to each other and they should care about each other. I love a song we sang in worship when I was a kid:
And they'll know we are Christians by our love......
That's taken from, I'm pretty sure, what Jesus told His apostles in John 13, verse 35:

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
You can't be a follower of the Savior without loving the brothers and sisters and you can't be on our team without one of Kaylin's bracelets, although I'm sure she would provide one if someone else joined us! I've got the bracelet but do I have the love Jesus spoke of? Is it obvious I love by the way I act and react? If not, the bracelet means less because I need to treat these young ladies the way I would want my daughters to be treated and coached. Basketball is temporary and someday the bracelet will wear out but love never ends. It should be what I wear all the time and not just during basketball season.


Applicable quote of the day:
“Winning and championships are memorable but they come from the strength of the relationships.” 
Jim Calhoun, former head coach of the UConn men's basketball team

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: