Friday, July 28, 2017

Two Important Calls (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis and are expecting their first child!  Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!



On my way to work each morning, there are two very important people I call - the first one on the list is my dad, and the second one would be Bob.  My dad and I have had this tradition for many years - it all started in 2002 when I was a freshman in college.  My dad and I started talking first thing in the morning before my first class - and it has progressed into adulthood as I drive to work.  Bob and I always talk on the way to work - and we end our conversation with a prayer.  We surround our students, our friends, and our family in prayer everyday, lifting them up to the Lord in the best way possible.  
Friday morning, I made one more call before I made it to work - I called my grandfather.  Granddaddy, as I call him, is a man of few words on the phone - when I call to catch up with them, Grandmama does most of the talking.  Today, I specifically called him - to thank him.  He is a veteran of World War II - a man who served his country proudly to maintain and sustain our freedom.  All I wanted to do was thank him - and I could hear the huge smile he had through the phone.  He thanked me several times for calling - and wished me a good day.  
My grandparents are very special to me - they are the only ones I have left right now.  I live so far away from them, as they live in Middle Tennessee.  My relationship with them is absolutely important to me - so I make it a point to call and catch up as often as I can.  It is important to me - so I make time for it.
Isn't that true?  We make time for the things that are important to us.  My faith is important to me - so I spend time in the Word, in prayer, and with my Lord every day.  My family is important to me - so I make the time to travel, to visit, to call, and to keep up.  Teaching reading is important to me - so I never stop learning, never stop growing - always looking for what is best for my kiddos.  
What is important to you?  What means the most to you?  I hope one of the items on your list is your relationship with the Lord.  The older I get, the more I realize and understand how this very thing impacts every single aspect of my life.  It influences my thought process, the decisions I make, and the routes I choose to take.  Jesus tells us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all of these things will be added unto you.  As long as we seek His guidance, wisdom, and strength, He will find a way to bless us – and give us everything that we need.  
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: