Sunday, July 30, 2017

Shine Your Light (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis and are expecting their first child!  Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!

It happened again.  You know I can't make this stuff up! 
This past Saturday got started super early for us!  We got up around 6:00 and started packing our things.  We went to their little breakfast area to get Bob some toast, then back to the room to finish everything up.  I ate some of my bananas and grapes, and got my things together for the gym.  We loaded the truck, checked out, and made our way downtown to drop Bob off for the St. Jude Marathon.  We found a spot near the FedEx Forum, we said our goodbyes, and he made his way to drop his things off and gear up for his run. 
I hit the road to the Planet Fitness in Bartlett, TN, as far away from the race as possible, so I wouldn't run into any race traffic.  I got my workout started at 8:00 - and followed my usual routine: stair master first, cross trainer second, and 30-minute workout third.  I took my time - Bob's race didn't start until 8:30, and I already knew he would be about four and a half hours until he finished.  I took lots of breaks and made it through every phase of my workout.  
The 30-minute workout area was in a big circle in the middle of the gym where everyone could see me.  I noticed, about midway through my rounds, that a lady on a treadmill kept staring at me - honestly, it didn't bother me.  I just minded my own business and finished my workout.  
Afterwards, I got on the treadmill for a bit, just to do a bit of walking, then back to the locker room to get organized and cleaned up - checking out of the hotel meant I had to clean up and shower at the gym.  I saw that same lady come into the locker room, and she started talking to me.  
"I hope you didn't mind me watching you, but you really got into that 30-minute workout.  Do you work out here often?  I would love to come work out with you and learn from you.  I'm new here, and just trying to learn the ropes."  
I was completely flattered, but I had to tell her the truth - "I am not actually from around here - I am from St. Louis, and my husband is here running the St. Jude Marathon."  She shared with me that she was from Kansas City - visibly bummed that I was not a regular.  I did share with her how I learned the 30-minute workout - the trainer has classes throughout the week that show you how to use all of the machines - and once I did that, I was good to go on my own.  She thanked me for my help and wished me s good day. 
People are always watching - they notice when they see "healthy" in someone.  I can't say I'm always perfect - I don't always get things right - but this lady noticed something in me.  She saw my drive, my determination, and my perseverance.  From her observations, she knew I was goal-driven - and knew I meant business.  People notice healthy - and they want to know more. 
You never really know who is watching you – be the best you that you can be, and shine your light in the darkest of places.  You may be the only Bible someone reads – show them you know who you are and Whose you are.
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: