Sunday, July 16, 2017

Just Keep Swimming (Trina Agee Cornell)


Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis and are expecting their first child! Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!
One October Saturday morning, I took my time getting ready for the day.  I did some things around the house and watched some TV before I headed to the gym.  Once I woke up, I realized something - I had forgotten to charge my Apple Watch overnight!  When I checked it, I was at about 30% - not bad, but not good either.  I tried to leave it on the charger for a bit that morning, but it wasn't charging fast enough.  Bob and I had plans the rest of the day, so I had to get my workout in - I took it off its charger at 30% and decided to chance it at the gym.  
My Apple Watch tracks my workout while I am at the gym - it does calories burned, heart rate, and duration.  I started it as soon as I started my stair mater routine - I looked at my watch midway through my workout, and my Apple Watch was officially dead.  I finished up my workout, and put my watch on the charger as soon as I got home.  After letting it sit there for an hour, it was at 50% - good enough to get time through the rest of my day.
When I checked the Activity app - that tracks my calories burned, hours I stand up, and exercise minutes, I was dismayed - since my Watch died, it caused the app to lose a quarter of the calories I had burned during my workout.  I was determined to not let that be - as Bob and I watched the football game, I got up and walked laps around my house to burn calories.  At halftime, I did a couple of laps around my neighborhood.  
I continued my trend of "commercial walking" until Bob and I went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner.  Before we left, I made sure I had another pink drink in my system - I knew I would need it.  During our hour-wait for a table, I kept walking - they had an open area outside that allowed me to do this.  After all this walking, by 7:00 PM, I made my calories goal for the day.  As you can see, it took quite a few extra steps, but I made it work. 

Life tends to happen when you least expect it – and technology is great, as long as it is working and charged.  Not only should I keep my devices charged, I need to keep myself “fully charged” as well.  Sometimes, it takes more effort to get through certain days than others – this Saturday described was no exception.  On days like this, you have to find that little bit of “extra” – that motivation and energy you need to press on.  For me, that comes in the form of my workout – while I am sweating it out, I have my phone in front of me, tuned to my daily Bible reading, a handful of devotionals, and “Mr. Steve’s blog”.  This gets me ready for the day – focuses me on what is most important – and reminds me of who I am and Whose I am.  Sometimes it is hard to “just keep swimming” – but with the Lord on your side, He will be your life raft.

God bless, Steve Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: