Saturday, July 29, 2017

Clumsy Old Me! (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis and are expecting their first child!  Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!

Here we go again.  Just when I thought I was home free - this happens. 
Sunday afternoon, Bob and I made it home from church, and I went into lunch making more.  I put my lunch together for Monday, got my meal going for that afternoon, and went to make Bob's traditional lunch - a peanut butter sandwich.  I pulled his bread out of the pantry - took one look at it - and noticed an ugly green edge creeping into the bread.  I took the bag of bread and went to throw it away.  
This sounds like a harmless task, right?  You should know that, before I tried to make Bob his sandwich, I had opened a can of green beans to make for myself.  I had placed the can in the garbage can, top side up, sharp edge pointing upward.  You see where I'm going with this.  I went to put the bread in the garbage, pushing it downward to make more room in the can.  My left pinkie finger caught the sharp edge of the can - and sliced my finger wide open.  
Dag nab it - I did it again!  I grabbed some paper towels to put pressure on it to stop the bleeding - it took a good 15 minutes before it stopped.  My poor finger remained sore to the touch for the rest of the day - and will probably be sore for the next couple of weeks.  It looks like I'm back to square one - dejavu all over again!  
I don't know if you have figured it out yet, but I'm a bit on the clumsy side - I do silly things that give me the oddest of injuries!  This is not the first time I've sliced my finger open - I used to do it often.  I've gotten better about it over the years, but as you can see, it still manages to happen.  
This is how it used to be with my eating habits - I would go several days where I stayed within my points, ate healthy, and stuck to my plan.  Then, I had those days where I threw caution to the wind - I followed no plan, didn't care about my points, and ate whatever I wanted.  I fell back into my old habits - and made those poor choices.  It was these decisions - and my food choices - that put my body in a chokehold.  I had no idea that overloading my system with sugars, junk food, and stress was holding immune and digestive systems hostage.  No wonder I couldn't lose the weight I wanted - and no wonder I was energy-depleted!  I made a decision to interrupt the pattern - to start taking care of my insides - and recognize the role I played in my own health.  
It’s amazing what a little attention to detail – and being a bit more careful can do for you!  Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do – for yourself and for your loved ones.  I have found that when I neglect this – when I “let myself go” – I am no good for my family, my students, anyone.  It is alright to drop the ball every now and then – but you have to pick it back up again.  I encourage you to take some time everyday for yourself – and within that, spend some time in prayer and study.  I promise you – it will do so much for you, your mindset, and your attitude.  Inserting this small detail into your day will make a world of difference – and make you a better you.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: