Wednesday, January 11, 2017

42 Reasons To Smile


Today, my favorite number was 42. You might think it was because of the jersey numeral worn by Jackie Robinson when he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and, of course, I was born in Brooklyn. Or you might guess it was a reference to the domino game 42 enjoyed by a segment of our society and which is sometimes called the national game of Texas. Maybe you believe it  hearkens back to the radio show/novel entitled Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything  where the computation to the eternal query is 42. Great possible solutions to my riddle but you are way off track! Kindly let me explain my numerology.

Today was winter sports' picture day at WCS. All athletic teams currently competing had both individual and squad photographs taken by a professional company we use. To honor my young ladies, and as we were not practicing this morning, I dressed up; suit, white shirt, red tie, new black shoes. On other days, my wardrobe is khaki pants, oxford shirt, tie coordinated by Jean, my senior teacher aide. As soon as I walked down the hall after my 6: 40 arrival, Kylde, our current Upper School Student Of The Nine Weeks, congratulated me on how I was arrayed. On the spot, I decided to keep count of of the comments and kind words directed at me because of my more than normal classy outfit. As I departed our hallowed halls this afternoon, the scorebook tally was, as you now know, 42. Sadly, I'll be back to my more typical dress code fare tomorrow but today was validation day for me.

I'm not sure why the kids and my colleagues made a big deal of my clothing today; my thesis would center on the stark contrast to my usual appearance. (SIDENOTE: In my classes, I learned today that girls, at least our girls, are more likely to know how to tie a tie than their male counterparts!) If I started wearing suits everyday, I surmise that soon the compliments would dwindle to zero. The special would become the norm and my peers and students would expect it. But what I loved most about today is they seemed genuinely happy for me in the perception that I looked good. Of course, it's how I dress on Sunday mornings but most of our youngsters never see me in that habitat.

We are changing all the time. I don't make resolutions but hopefully, I'm wise enough to realize when I need calibrating. Perhaps no one could tell if I cut down the time I spend on my laptop and others would not be cognizant if I make a conscious effort to maintain my apartment at a slightly less messy level. But when we give our life to the Lord, 
others should notice a difference. Paul penned in 2nd Corinthians 5:17 that when we are in Christ, we are new creations and the old one is gone! Honestly, sometimes I still struggle with feeling like the old creation still pays rent in my heart but Paul's words eventually sink back in. There was a marked change in the apostles in Acts and the religious authorities in a profound statement noted they had been with Jesus. I hope others can tell I've been with Him, too! There will be some outward evidence of an inward change. For more than ten hours today, I was covered from head to toe in cleaned and pressed threads from my favorite haberdashery, Joseph A. Bank. Galatians 3:27 tells me that when I was baptized into Christ, I was clothed with Christ. I don't need a website to purchase that apparel- it was paid for by our Savior. And that's the one covering that I never have to take off.

Applicable quote of the day:
Nothing is more effective than sincere, accurate praise, and nothing is more lame than a cookie-cutter compliment. 

Bill Walsh

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: