Friday, November 25, 2016

Restoring Power


My car is seven years old which means all the parts are seven years old, saving the tires and fluids. Last Saturday night, as I was packing for my drive to Kansas which would commence very early Sunday morning, I left the dome light on for several hours. When I discovered my mistake, I tried to start the car. DEAD. Fortunately, a neighbor walked by and helped me jump start my vehicle. The scary thing for me was knowing that my battery was probably on its last legs and  I was leaving for Wichita in hours. I held my breath at 4:45 AM when I turned the key but it cranked right up. Still, one of my first tasks in Kansas was to get to the O'Reilly's Auto Parts, a block from Scott's house, and get it tested. My fears were confirmed- a new battery was in order. The good folks at O'Reilly's took care of me quickly and I immediately felt at ease about making the drive back to Houston as well as transporting the kids on my basketball team as our season rolls along. It all starts with the starting.

One of the residual effects of changing the battery was that the clock/radio were turned off for the first time since my purchase of the Honda Fit on April 1, 2010. Resetting the clock was simple. But the radio was a different matter- it would not turn back on. The display panel flashed ENTER ACCESS CODE which I didn't have. It told me in the  owner's manual that it should have been written down when I bought the car but it wasn't on anything I had in my glove compartment. It also told me I should get the VIN and call the dealer and they would give me the code. I braved the cold and jotted it down and called my dealer, the wonderful folks at Russell And Smith Honda back in Houston. The service department informed me that it wasn't the VIN that  was required but the serial number for the radio. They walked me how to find it; push 1 and 6 simultaneously on the radio controls. Armed with the serial number, I called back and they quickly provided the code. I typed it in and immediately my radio was restored although I will have to reset my preferences, which even I can figure out...... I think.


Truthfully, I have no idea why Honda makes you jump through a few hoops to turn your own radio back on but I'm smart enough to know, they must have their reasons. The other vehicles I owned didn't have this feature but then again, this Honda is the best car I've ever called mine. I don't think the loss of power only is an automobile issue. Do we ever feel estranged from the Lord, a time when our prayer life is interrupted from our source of power? But unlike my used up battery, our Father doesn't run out or require any sort of infusion of energy. The problem is all on me. For example, check out these verses:
"For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.
Malachi 3:6
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."
Isaiah 40:8

"So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath..."
Hebrews 6:i7
There are always side issues when power goes out in our daily lives. We may scratch around and search for a blown fuse or a downed line somewhere in the area. Data can be lost on the computer and the microwaves have to be reset. When I had Lasik surgery on my eyes, I even had to sign a waiver that I would not hold the doctor responsible should the power go out in the middle of the procedure, a billion to one chance I was assured. But there is only one side issue when my prayer life goes south- me. The Lord is always there to restore our relationship but it's my choice. The decision, even unconscious, to drift is solely mine but the offer of restoration is anchored firmly in our Creator. I looked up the password in my Bible to enable me to come back into communication with our Father in Heaven and I found it. The code was written in the blood of His son.


Applicable quote of the day:
Shutting off the thought process is not rejuvenating; the mind is like a car battery - it recharges by running. 
Bill Watterson


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: