Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Mirror Images, Autumn of 2016, Part III


We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is different from everyone. I see a girl who tries so hard but it's never enough. I see a girl who has been hurt over and over again. I see a girl who tries to be positive even when her world is falling apart. I see a girl who has learned from her mistakes. I see a girl who loves and cares for everyone but herself. I see a girl who constantly overthinks everything. I see a girl who wants to make the world a better place. I see a girl who wants to help people and who is worried about her future. I see a girl who loves Jesus. When I look in the mirror,  I see God's creation.

When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who tries and tries but cannot fix his problems. I see a young man overcoming his failures and defeats. I see a young man with hate and anger in his heart but he is having a hard time releasing it. I see a young man with the potential and mindset to be very successful. I see a funny young man, one who will do anything to make his parents happy with him but who keeps disappointing them. I see a young man who will do anything for his mom and who misses his grandpa. I take one last glance and see a child of God, one who will always be taken care of and accepted by the Father. I see me!


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is trying to be happy. I see a girl who wants to be successful and will do anything to get there. I see a girl who tries to do her best, falls short, but is determined to pick herself up and keep going. I see a girl who is working on herself. I see a girl who looks up to her mom on how to be a lady and to her dad on how to be treated. I see a girl who will anything and everything for others, even if it hurts herself. 

When I look in the mirror, I see a young man striving for success. I see a young man who has had his share of rejection but who has taken life by the horns. I see a gentleman who woos the ladies, who is a man of honor and character. I see a young male who would rather fail than give up. I see a child of God who struggles to stay on the straight path. I see an intelligent and logical individual who finds no challenge too big. Most of all, I see what defines me: faith, family, friends.


When I look in the mirror, I see a beautiful girl who is always smiling although sometimes she smiles to cover up her real emotions. If she is mad or sad, she won't show it because it isn't the fault of other people. I see a girl who is loyal, loving, strong, determined, and always encouraging herself to keep moving forward through tough obstacles. I see someone who will touch many hearts and turn poeple from their evil ways. I am not perfect but everyday, I ask Jesus to be more like Him. I feel blessed to feel alive and grateful God created me in His likeness and image. I see myself in the armor of God to defeat the devil and I won't let him get near me or the people I love. I see a bright future with wonderful things. I am filled with love and I can see everything when I look into my eyes with a bright light.

When I look in the mirror, I see someone who tries to be the best at something but sometimes fails. I will do it, try it, just to see if I'll be good at it. When I look in the mirror, I see someone who loves putting smiles on the faces of people even though they might stab me in the back when I turn around. When I look in the mirror, I see a kind an romantic young man. I see a young man who is very quiet but if you get to know him, you will find him to be very talkative and fun. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man with a bright future. I see someone who loves his family and friends, and is willing to do anything for them.

Applicable quote of the day:
"The best mirror is an old friend."
Peter Nivio Zarlenga

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: