Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Letter Mom Kept

I don't get many texts but I got one an hour or so ago. It was from my brother, Scott, who lives in Wichita, Kansas as does my other brother, Dave. Scott had been cleaning out the garage and found a box of stuff our parents had kept over the years. Scott was going to toss it but that's hard to do when you know there is no more supply. He began going through it and came across this letter. That's what the text was, a picture of the note. I can't put an exact date on it but it was before my parents moved to St. Louis from Fenton, Missouri. But I can put an exact location on the incident being described in my all-caps hand writing

Like I said, I can't tell you exactly when it happened but I can tell you where I was sitting. I was home for a summer visit and I got angry at Mom over ...... a food processor. You know how moms are- they want to make their kids' lives better so on my last trip, she had given me a food processor to help me make the salads I eat with every meal. But it didn't make my life easier- it made it harder as I didn't like the way it shredded the vegetables- think coleslaw- and it was a nightmare to clean. When Mom asked how I was enjoying her gift, I told her it was impractical and that I had given it to neighbors who needed it. Mom got hurt and angry and I got mad at her reaction. Scott's wife, Karen, was sitting there with us and told my brother she was shocked- it was out of character for both of us. I don't recall anything else about the trip but it stayed on my mind enough that I penned that apology...... and she never threw it away.

As far as I can remember, it was never brought up again. I learned a hard lesson. I never meant to hurt Mom- we were close and I loved her with all my heart. I still don't know why she got mad and I don't know why she kept my words of remorse but it doesn't matter. I actually talked today in my last 8th grade class about making your mother cry and many of the kids told me they had caused painful tears from the one who bore them. I thought back tonight of Mary and what was said of her in Luke 2:19 when the shepherds visited and spoke of the Savior child:
But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.
That's what mothers have always done, kept a museum of memories of their children locked away in the emotional vaults of their inmost being. Mom kept an envelope of Scott's hair from his first haircut and I have no idea why.....but I bet moms do. They love us unconditionally, even when it hurts. And in my case, Mom even saved the proof. I miss you, Mom, and I'm still sorry.

Applicable quote of the day:
Our mothers give us so many gifts. They give us the precious gift of life, of course, but they also leave treasured lessons that can guide us along our journeys even when they are no longer with us.
Maria Shriver

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: