Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Find The Good (Trina Cornell)


Lord willing, I am back in Houston from Vietnam. Thanks to all my guest authors, especially Trina Agee Cornell, who filled my chair for fifteen consecutive nights!
I can't believe what I did this past Wednesday!  I got up early for my usual workout, made it home in time to clean up and pack up, then headed out to school.  It's a 30-minute trek to school from my house - I arrived just in time to start the day.  The first place I go, after I park, is to my backseat to get my big bag - the bag that contains my lunch, laptop, grade book, school books, and more importantly, my thumb drive.  I opened the rear door to get my bag - and it wasn't there!  I had walked out of the house and left it in my kitchen, packed and ready to go!  I was so surprised at myself - I have been forgetful in the past, but never THIS forgetful!
Luckily, I had my home computer in one of the bags I thought to bring with me.  I was able to manage alright for my morning classes, but I made a decision - I had to go get my bag.  As soon as my 3rd Hour left, I was out the door and headed home.  A 30-minute trek home - and a. 30-minute trek back in to school.  I made it with about 15 minutes to spare - and continued the rest of my day.  
Being forgetful can be a pain sometimes - in my case, it cost me time away from work and things I needed to get done.  When I found out what I had done, I made a conscious choice to not let it get me down - I would look for the opportunities my forgetfulness afforded me.  Forgetting my laptop meant I had less of a distraction - I was able to slow down a bit at school.  My extra driving afforded me the opportunity to talk to my mom for a while - any time I can spend catching up with her is precious.  Finding the good in not-so-good situations makes all the difference.  
As a teacher, it is easy to get caught up in the school year - meetings, lesson plans, grading, events - and lose myself.  I go all in for my kiddos and co-workers, and sometimes have nothing left at the end of the day.  I realize, though, that my strength does not come from my own doing – it comes from our Lord.  The apostle Paul shared in his letter to the Philippian church that “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”  When our physical power source is depleted, we have to find the good – and the Lord is there to refuel our spirit.  There is no greater feeling than knowing you are a child of God – and you are not on your own.
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: