Monday, February 15, 2016

Twelve Minutes


Click below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlbbmeVH1M

My Gospels classes are covering Jesus' Parable of The Good Samaritan this week. I show a film clip in each period each day to illustrate our lessons. Last night, I found this gem and consider it the best re-enactment in a modern setting of the Savior's best know parable, along with The Prodigal Son. It lasts twelve minutes, longer than most clips we use, but well worth the time. I tied it in with a story from my life, which although not as extreme, has bothered me to this day.

Let me treat you like I do my kids with a little background of details I missed in my first watch which will help you make sense of the action. The victim could be anyone's grandpa. The dad is a doctor and apparently a church deacon based on something he tells his son. James, the guy in the red jacket, is the youth minister for their congregation, and is taking the three boys on an overnight camping trip. The son is touched by the plight of the old man but not sure what to do. The Samaritan is....., well, you have to watch. 


I thought the presentation was so good I spoke to Gracie Greer, our Curriculum Director, about purchasing the set. I also spoke to my classes that I fear we focus so much on helping others far away that we overlook the tragic cases nearby. I thought the producers/directors made it Biblically dovetail with the original. Two outwardly religious men who did not help when it was in their power and explained it away; it was alcohol or there was nothing they could do anyway. The deacon/doctor and the youth minister didn't do the old man any harm- they just didn't do him any good. And many in our culture would be as shocked at the hero as the listeners in Jesus' day would have been of the champion of that desperate victim. I hope you'll take a look even though I admit it was hard for me to watch. Sometimes those kind reveal the best lessons.

Applicable quote of the day, # 1:
The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the Good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?" 
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Applicable quote of the day, # 2:
I wondered why somebody didn't do something. Then I realized, I am somebody

Author Unknown

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com




No comments: