Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Sticky Note

On my way to Wednesday night Bible study several days ago, I stopped into my classroom. I usually park behind our school which is adjacent to our church building for our worship services. There was something I needed on my desk so I flipped on the lights for my thirty second errand but I was distracted by something I saw. Sometime after I left for the afternoon, someone had come into Room 258 and left a hand written sticky note on my computer. That is the picture above. I have absolutely no idea who wrote it or if the words are their own or a quote I had not heard. Maybe the stealth writer posted them on a number of teachers' computer screens- we have kids who have left notes on other kids lockers with thoughts to build up their peers. All I know is that it was there and it gave me a glow going into our study of Nehemiah. I have one basic rule in my life: Never underestimate the benefit of a glow.

As much as I really appreciate the sentiments and the effort it took to post it in my room, I find myself not curious about the identity of the author. Every couple of years in my classes or with my teams, I do a project called All The Good Things, based on a true story in Reader's Digest. Each student or player writes out a sentence conveying the best thing about every other classmate or teammate. After I put them all together, I hand out the combined statements which are all anonymous. (With the younger kids, I at times have to edit out contextual clues.) I ask them not to show others their folder; it should be private. I also tell them they should not want to know who wrote what compliment; they should think it could be anyone in the class or on the team, even the ones they are not as fond of. Like I preach to my students, I'd like to think it could be just about anybody who took the time to make my day. Solomon penned these words in Proverbs chapter 25 and verse 11:
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.
Someone fitly spoke a word to me on Wednesday or rather, several of them. In the book of Acts, we meet Barnabas, whose name meant, 'son of encouragement.' Apparently, we have a Barnabas in our midst or a couple of them. And based on experience, I should ask, what is the female equivalent of Barnabas? Barnabette? Well, whoever it is, they made they made my day while throwing in a basketball reference. My gratitude in anonymity in this public forum.

Applicable quote of the day:
“I have notes in my bathroom, yellow notes, and I stick 'em on the mirror, things that happened that were uplifting boosters for me. Notes that say, "Today is special, make today count." And then I have one note on the mirror in the middle that says, "Look at the other notes.”    Burt Bacharach


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: