Sunday, January 03, 2016

Curing The Keurig


In both our English and Chinese services today, our reading before communion came from Romans 12:6-8. The passage speaks of our having different gifts and using those gifts enthusiastically and effectively. I think when we get to a certain maturity spiritually, we have a pretty good idea of what our gift/gifts is or are. Maybe we limit ourselves at times and don't branch out into an area of service in which we could thrive. I think the same follows suit in our non-spiritual abilities. There are are arenas in which I am proficient or perhaps even excel. But there are other talents that the Lord did not feel obliged to bless me with, like anything involving technical or mechanical skills. I am the least handy person I know with the possible exception of my brother, Dave. My brother, Scott, on the other hand, can pinpoint problems with any sort of gadget and fix the issue. Same parents, different DNA!

For my last birthday, those same two brothers bought me a Keurig Coffee Maker, the same model shown above. Both of their families own one so I had a little bit of experience in their use. And, of course, it made great coffee! Fast forward to August 1st of 2015. Upon my return from a 24 day mission to Vietnam, I f
ound my Keurig was not working. The water would heat but it would not come out through the pre-packaged cup so my birthday present just sat on the counter and I used my traditional coffee maker from Black and Decker. I told Scott at Thanksgiving during my trip to Wichita and he told me I should have brought it so he could look at it. I did at Christmas but Scott's travel plans, along with his lovely wife, Karen, did not allow our paths to cross. So, I hauled it out of the car after my 1300 mile trek and put it back on the counter, just another unused kitchen utensil.

But on New Year's Day, I took matters into my own hands. I went online to try to find a solution to my Keurig illness. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are hundreds of articles and dozens of YouTube videos on fixing a Keurig. It was do this or do this or try this or this will work or here's what you can do or do this........ and on and on.  I took the easiest solution I discovered:
"Turn it upside down and shake it."

I did and guess what? It works perfectly now. Just one thing left: I need to post a how to article and follow up with my own Youtube clip. It is so easy.

You know, if I had tried all those remedies for my Keurig, I'd still be combing the Internet. I was blessed to find the solution with FIX # 1. I think the religious world struggles with the same mindset. There are so many beliefs on how mankind can get into a right relationship with God. But Jesus made it simple in His words we find in John 14, verse 6. In response to a question from Thomas about God, the Savior relied:
“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
When I said Jesus made it simple, that's not to imply that it's simple for all of us as humans to follow through with that road map. Jesus spoke of the crowded path to destruction and the narrow and lightly traveled highway to life. When we're honest with ourselves and the Lord, we acknowledge we are broken. I know I'm in need of repair on a daily basis. Sometimes I just need to be turned upside down and shaken a little. Thank God for the blood of Jesus.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world."
Thomas Jefferson

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybookss.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: