Thursday, December 24, 2015

Dressing For Success At The IHOP


I'm in Edmond, Oklahoma as we speak. Sally, Dave, and I made the two hour drive this morning to the home of Zach and Haley and Bennett and Deacon. Tomorrow, Ben and Courtney and Jenson and Bo will get here from Courtney's folks' home. As soon as we arrived, Zach and Dave took off for the golf course. Since I don't play, it's a good time to write my devotional. I'm sitting with Deacon who turns six in February. He's playing some video game having to do with ninja warriors. Bennett is trying to set up Siri on Sally's phone. Haley is doing odds and ends.  

Last night in Wichita, we ate at IHOP. Dave and I got there first and then Sally came in from her last day of work before Christmas. We were on our way to Bible study immediately after supper so I was dressed to go. If you are a regular reader, you know Sally has had a tremendous impact on my life, especially in the way I dress. I trust her implicitly and listen to her carefully. Last night's lesson was about my casual versus dress-up mindset. Sally made the point that I dress nicely for school (I do) and Sunday (I do again wearing suits) but I drop down to jeans and t-shirt/tennis shoes on Wednesday night. She asked what I wear to school concerts- same as Wednesday night. She then asked what other guys wear to those events- no idea. Sally told me I need to get some long sleeve sports shirts for those in between occasions and she suggested something like Polo brand, maybe from Dillard's. And in between bites of double blueberry pancakes, I listened. And when we got home from the Wednesday night devotional, I googled long sleeve sports shirts.

As always, what Sally says to me matters even if it isn't something I had considered before. I have never doubted she has my best interests at heart and she never shies away from things I need to hear. In the book of Ruth, we're told Boaz has standing in the community of Bethlehem- people admired and respected him. Sally has standing with me. And she is right; I need a sense of moderation in my life. I tend to go to extremes like a pendulum and seldom rest in the middle. I'm not always sure what is appropriate attire. Sally affords another set of trusted eyes to give me a different vantage point in parts of my life where blind spots predominate. I know this much- I at least know who to trust and I'm blessed with more than one Sally in various aspects of my existence. As Solomon put it in Proverbs 19:20, 
Listen to advice and accept discipline,
 
and at the end you will be counted among the wise.
That's what I want for Christmas this year- wisdom. Last night, wisdom came to me wrapped in pancake batter and blueberry syrup at a Wichita IHOP. Merry Christmas and I hope Santa brings each of you your own version of my sister-in-law this holiday season!


Applicable quote of the day:
"Looking good isn't self-importance; it's self-respect."
—Charles Hix


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleyboos.com

No comments: