Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sam I Am ....Or Not

"You can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay... " That means nothing to most of you! This is from November 22, 2015.

If you read this blog on a regular basis, you know that I work out every day. I belong to a fitness club about a mile from my place which meets my needs perfectly. On the weekend, I go in at 8:00 AM and come back in the afternoon. Typically, I lift and then swim although Sunday is a pool only day. On school days, or Monday through Friday, I start my workout at 5:45 AM. Technically, they don't open until six but they are getting things ready for the day and don't mind if I get a head start. A little over a month ago, a new guy started up at the same time as me. He had just become a member and is an administrator in the public schools. He introduced himself as John and I told him I was Steve. We greet each other every morning except Wednesday, his Sabbath from lifting. There is one slight problem. I see him first usually as he wears headphones and I get his attention.
"Good morning, John."
He smiles and replies:
"What's up, Sam?"
That's right- he thinks my name is Sam. I let it go so to John, it is Sam.

I presented the situation to my seventh period Gospels' class, all juniors, on Thursday. They were appalled that I was not handling it. I explained that I am handling it by ignoring it.
"But Coach, what if he finds out?"
He won't.
"But what is he sees you wearing something with your name on it?"
I don't wear stuff with my name on it.

"But what if someone calls you by your name and he hears it?"
The little old ladies who come in don't know what it is.
They still were unanimous in their incredulity. Except for Micah R. He had my back.

I don't care if John thinks I'm Sam. In my view, it might embarrass him if I broke the news.  Look at the list of apostles. Several have multiple monikers like Peter aka The Rock aka Cephas aka Simon. Maybe I would make a good Sam; maybe John sees something in me that I don't! Names matter- I try to call each student's name every class period- but to me this isn't a big deal. It might if John were my boss but he isn't. I do hope he suspects I have a third name as well- Child Of God.


Applicable quote of the day:
“It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.”
W.C. Fields 


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: