Friday, October 23, 2015

Bedtime Blessings, Eighth Grade Version


We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Tonight's entries are all from 8th graders and all are used with permission! Boys are in blue and girls in pink!



My dear child: I am your foundation, you are God’s creation ,and we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus, to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. Don’t ever think that we don’t love you, because we will always love you! We care for you so much that we will work hard to be able to support you. We love you. -Ryan


My dear daughter, I love you! I will always be there for you. I will cheer you up when you are feeling down. I will always call you my Beautiful Queen. I will protect you with my life;  you would never be mistreated by someone else. Your name will be Elizabeth. I will play with you and give you advice. I will teach you how to drive a car. I will always love you even if you are mad at me. You mean everything to me. -Walter

Dear unborn soul: I love you and I will never let you fall down. I will always be there for you. I will keep you close and let you discover yourself.  I promise to always hold on to you forever and forever, and I will never let go. I love you so much. -Hailey
Dear Son, There are times when things become unfair and tough, but that’s why I am here for you. I love you so much, more than you’ll ever know. You can do some amazing things that I couldn’t have ever done. I want you to have good grades and play sports like have. If you play tennis, remember that you need to be better than me. Ignore the criticism that will be thrown at you. You will have so much potential if you really put your heart to it. I love you more than you’ll ever know. Don’t do the dumb things that I have done.
Love from your father-  James


Dear child, I will protect you from anyone who tries to hurt you. I will allow you to make your own choices and trust that you will make the right ones. I will catch you when you fall and bring you back up again. I will love you unconditionally, even if I lose control and get really mad or frustrated. Also know to never give up with anything you do. If me and your father fight, we aren’t going to give up and leave . We will work it out with love. I will wipe every tear of yours and bandage every cut. I love all of you (Samuel, Ellie, Hazel, and Tyler) -Lillian
Hey there little one! I am your mommy. You are my baby boy. Your mommy and daddy are here to help you through life. I will always be there for you no matter what. I hope you learn at a good school like I did. I will provide everything you need till you can live on your own. If you are ever having a bad day and you can’t get a hold of Mommy or  Daddy or any family member, remember that the best thing to do is always read the Bible. I love you, son. -Jordyn

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com




 



 
 

No comments: