Sunday, July 26, 2015

Car Repair (Susan Woodward)


https://www.celicahobby.com/installs/guides/stereo_subs_amp_01.jpg
This is the third of three entries by my dear friend, Susan Woodward. Susan was my high school administrator when I moved to Houston and served as editor of the book I authored. She is a world class educator, a terrific writer, and a wonderful sister in Christ. Continued prayers for me in Vietnam, please!
I don’t know anything about car repair. My first thoughts are sometimes, “I’ll just get a new car,” but of course, that is often unrealistic. I fear something happening to the car and it needing to be repaired, as I see that as confusing, frustrating, and expensive.  Car warranties help, but still the actual diagnosing is daunting to me.  It really is somewhat like a medical “diagnosis” insomuch as you have to learn what is wrong and what it will take to fix it.  And then there is the cost associated with it. Car warranties are a sort of insurance I guess, but still it can be forbidding.  Then there is the service advisor at the dealership or car repair facility.  As a woman especially, they can be intimidating.  They have been for me until I met the one at the dealership near where I live and I trust him.  I love hearing the words, “the warranty will cover it!”
My recent dealings of this type caused me to stop and think about how often I am in a situation and I stop and pray about it and give it to God.  I guess God is a sort of “warranty!”  The dictionary defines warranty like this            
covenant of warranty. a covenant assures the grantee that he or she will enjoy that which is promised free from interference by any person claiming under a superior title.
A covenant? God’s covenant is a promise and His promises cannot be broken since they rest in Him.  The word Testament is Latin for “covenant.”  I sometimes forget that and take things to God, but fail to leave them there.  Is it a lack of trust?  Do I trust humans, such as the car service advisor, and not God?  Why can’t I leave things with Him?  Why do I take things to the throne, but then feel like I need to help?  Do I help at the car repair dealership?  
It is sometimes a confusing truth for many Christians that even though we belong to God, we still seem to experience problems. We often become depressed and weighed down in life’s cares. The fact that both the Old and New Testaments address this problem the same way indicates that God knows problems and worries are certain in this life. Thankfully, He has given us the same resolve He gave in both Psalms and Peter’s letter. “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall” (Psalm 55:22), and “Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
Within these two verses are several amazing truths: God will sustain us, He will never let us fall, and He cares for us. Viewed one at a time, we see first that God declares both His ability and His willingness to be our strength and support—mentally, emotionally and spiritually. He is able (and best of all, willing!) to take everything that threatens to overwhelm us and use it for our benefit. He has promised to “work all things together for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Even at times when we doubt Him, He is still working for our good and His glory. And He has also promised that He will allow no trial to be so great we cannot bear it and that He will provide a means of escape (1 Corinthians 10:13). By this, He means that He will not let us fall, as He promised in Psalm 55:22.
The third statement—“He cares for you”—gives us the inspiration behind His other promises. Our God is not cold or unfeeling. Rather, He is our loving heavenly Father whose heart is caring toward His children. Jesus reminds us that just as an earthly father would not deny His children bread, so God has promised to give us “good gifts” when we ask Him (Matthew 7:11).
So, each day, taking one step at a time, we should pray for God's Word to guide us, read or listen to God's Word, and meditate on God's Word when the problems, worries, and anxieties of life come along. The secret to giving things over to Christ is really no secret at all—it's simply as a Christian to submit to Jesus as our Lord in day-to-day living. Rest on His promises!
Taken from the hymn “Sweet are the Promises” (W.A. Ogden, 1885)
List to His loving words, "Come unto me!"
Weary, heavyladen, there is sweet rest for thee
Trust in His promises, faithful and sure
Lean upon the Savior and thy soul is secure.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: