Thursday, July 30, 2015

BODY LANGUAGE (Joe Goodspeed)

My devotional tonight is by my friend, Joe Goodspeed. Joe is a longtme minister of the Gospel who now writes extensively on Facebook. He is also the father of our WCS librarian, Dinae King, and the father in law of Randy King, my insurance agent and my brother Dave's college roommate!

It has been much discussed in the last few years, the subject of body language. Julius Fast, Ray Birdwhistle, S.I Hawakaya and others have helped us to realize that a great percent of what we communicate is through body motion, kinesics.
Take a simple illustration if you will. Three people can be standing, talking. A fourth seeks to join the group, and by a simple re-positioning of the shoulders, the three can say either "come and join in" or "your presence is not desired."
Two vehicles meet at an intersection at about the same time. A driver can say, "I don't yield to anyone," or, "I'm in no hurry; go right on ahead", just by the positioning of the car and perhaps a gentle wave of the hand.
A smile of approval can do wonders, whereas a frown can fire an insult.
The Bible lauds brotherly-kindness and love. Often this can be shown by body language. Please also remember the implications of the quotation, "Please don't look at me in that tone of voice!"


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: