Friday, May 11, 2018

The Honest Man


Billy Joel sang, 'Honesty is such a lonely word... ' It isn't to the man I speak of in this entry from August 7, 2014.

My first year of traveling to Vietnam in 2011 was on Korean Airlines  but on my last three journeys, I've flown Singapore Airlines. My change in carrier had to do with my friend, Sherry Ann Sabado, who lives in Singapore, booking my flights as well as booking a hotel for me for a day. Sherry Ann picked me up, a weary traveler, at the airport at 6 AM twenty-seven days ago. We went to breakfast but she had to go to work after she got me checked into my hotel, the very nice Furama City Centre. I had not changed any money so gave me a bill 'just in case' and I thought she said, tired as I was, that it was the equivalent of $1 US. I should have remembered that US and Singapore currency is very similar. There was a mix-up with my bags which stayed in the lobby for three hours before being brought to my room. When the gentleman porter came and delivered the two suitcases, I thought I would just give him the $1 left for me by Sherry Ann. A look of horror came over his face as he took the bill and he told me in an anguished voice, "Sir, this is $50!" He realized my mistake and refused to take advantage of a traveler who he knew was confused. His kindness was multiplied as the money would have come out of the fund meant for the poor in Can Tho. Thanks to God this man was so kind hearted and I pray the Lord will bless him for his honesty. (I did tip him $1 and thank him profusely!)

We live in a world where many people get away with whatever they can. There was a news item today that a US Senator was dropping out of the race to retain his seat after it came to light that he had plagiarized large sections of his final paper on his Master's degree several years ago. I doubt when he was cheating that he thought about getting caught or considered any ramifications should he one day hold public office. My guess it will haunt him if he ever tries to get back into the political spotlight. But the man I met in the hotel has no such fears. What was especially heartwarming about the gentleman in Singapore was that no one would have ever known. I didn't even know! My guess is that tip might have been the equivalent of at least a day's wage but it didn't matter. Jesus taught in Luke 16 if we can be trusted with a little, we can be trusted with much. I hope my friend whose name I do not know gets a chance to prove how right Jesus was. Honestly, I do.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom."

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com




No comments: