Saturday, October 12, 2019

Thank God

There are kids you really just love over a career- Jeannie is one for me! This is from July 3, 2014.
When I got up this morning at  roughly 5:15 AM- I think that's redundant- there was a Facebook message waiting for me. It wasn't long but it didn't need to be:


Still going strong praying nightly for you, your wife, and those in Vietnam. I love you and can't wait to hear the news from over there!


It was from Jeannie who some of you know and all of you should. Jeannie was my student and teacher's aide years ago. She came from an awesome family. Her mom always saved clothes from her younger brother for me to take to my brother, Scott, for his son, Seth. Jeannie was a sweetheart since I can remember- she was only five or six when I moved to the school she attended and the church where her family were members. She came to my basketball camps as a little girl and I can still see the spot in the church parking lot as a sixth grader where she told me she had decided not to play basketball- she was so afraid I would be disappointed with her. In middle and high school classes, she was one of my favorites and she stayed in touch after graduation and after I moved to Texas. She became a teacher, got married to a great guy, has a darling little girl, and still finds time to send me links of stuff to use in class. We think alike- the one she sent last night, I used this year and my students loved it.


Jeannie also now and then just sends me a quick note like the one above just to let me know she's praying for me. (If you're wondering about the wife reference, she prays for me constantly to find a mate.) She has background with the work in Vietnam; she was and is good friends with the Tune family that started and continues to oversee the work in Can Tho. Two summers ago, she had me send her the list of all the young ladies in the congregation there so they could correspond and improve their English skills. That's typical of her; always looking to bless someone else in a quiet way that doesn't draw attention to herself. And so tonight, while I'm not in the habit of sharing messages and prayer concerns with my audience, I'm making an exception with Jeannie's consent. Already on Facebook, a number of posts are expressing gratitude for our great nation. As a patriotic American, I share those sentiments, sentiments reinforced when I travel abroad. But tonight, I just want to express gratitude for Jeannie. In one Paul's most beloved and quoted verse, Philippians 1:3, he simply says, I thank my God every time I remember you.

If you're like me, there are perhaps a multitude of folks you think of when you hear Paul's greeting- might be a good thing to sit down and list them one of these days. If this was an AM radio station back in Nebraska, they might still do dedications like when I was a kid. If so, this verse is for you, Jeannie. It fits you to a T.

Applicable quote of the day: He who has learned to pray has learned the greatest secret of a holy and happy life.


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


No comments: