Monday, July 21, 2014

Exercise the Thankful Muscle (Frank Myer)

Good evening! My devotional tonight is penned by my friend, Frank Myer. Frank and I went to Harding University together and our folks did the same several decades previously. Frank writes a weekly devotional called Friday From Frank and he has graciously loaned me several of his excellent pieces! Please continue to pray for me in Vietnam!

Friday From Frank
Exercise the Thankful Muscle
Good Morning Folks,
It’s great to be alive. You just were given another day.
How long has it been since you’ve worked out your “Thankful” muscle?
Easier than skipping going to the gym, or some other place of sweat induced activities. Actually, it’s not sweat induced, it’s sweat resulting. I got off track.
Thankful to be back.
What does it take for you to be thankful?
How efficient are you in being thankful?
Remember Steve Martin? Not only does he play a mean banjo, he thinks he’s a comedian. In this particular case, he’s correct. Unlike the time Mrs. Hollingsworth, my 7th grade math teacher, asked me the same question.
At the end of Steve Martin’s comedy concert he sometimes would say, “I’d like to thank each and every one of you for coming out tonight.”  He’d pull in a deep breath then: “Thank you. Thank you. Thank You. Thank You.”   You get the point.
Practice being thankful.  Not just the normal, everyday stuff we all tend to do by rote memorization.  Yes, I’m sure your kids are God’s gift to this world, and I know they are without blemish, at least in your mind, but go for the gusto.
Thank God for something different.
Those people you work with. Thank them.
That guy at airport?  If the TSA employee who some may cast aspersions on, wasn’t there, you wouldn’t get on the plane.
Sure you have to wait in line a bit. I bet it’s a shorter wait than walking.
Be nice.
What about the waitress that is slow to bring out the extra refill?  Maybe she’s had a lousy day. How long would it take you to say “Thanks.”
Well they don’t deserve it.
Ah, that’s a good one.
What you’re telling me is it’s our job to determine who deserves to be thanked and who doesn’t?
Do you deserve every good thing you received? (Here’s a hint. NO.)
Be thankful.
Let God know what you’re thankful for. It’s just good manners.
And when you find something new to be thankful for, think about why.
Spend a few moments pondering what it is about the focus of your thanks that makes you thankful.  I know. This is hard work.
Why do it?
Number one reason – God made us to be thankful. When we are thankful it’s good for us.
Don’t believe me?
Noooooooooo problem.
I’m thankful I have readers that do appreciate what I write and if you’re too obtuse to understand what I’m trying to say then…..
Okay, that was a bad example. Don’t do that.
Read Psalms. Try Psalm 91, no wait, 95. Go to 95 and read.
For a more secular rendition of reason; they’ve done lots of studies on people who are calm and content with life. One of the top attributes of these folks is they express thanks in lots of different ways.
Maybe this study proves what God has been telling us since the Old Testament. It pays to be thankful.
Give it a try.
Find three things to be thankful for. Shoot for something you haven’t noticed before. If you really want a star in your crown – send a note to someone thanking them for something they did.
You’re the light of this world. Jesus tells us that. So shine. Glow with a cheerful heart and be thankful.
Enjoy the ride,
Frank Myer

PS – Try to give someone a reason to smile. Share a joke, a hug, or whatever you can come up with. 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: