Thursday, May 01, 2014

Reflections, Chapter III


The memory verse we learned last week in all five of my classes was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.

When I look in the mirror I see a young man who is blessed and knows it but sometimes doesn’t act like it. I see someone who will be successful but feels like something is coming for him, like something bad is going to happen and crush his dreams. I see someone who tries to live in the future but just needs to be in the present. I see someone who has been saved by God’s grace plenty of times. I see someone who needs to stay focused on His word and needs to stay on the right path; just because you’re young, doesn’t mean you cannot devote your life to Christ yet. I see someone who is just trying to live a good life in this world.


When I look in the mirror I see an insecure girl who is told she is pretty, but never believes it. I see a girl who would like to be a singer when she grows up, but doesn’t think she is good enough. I see a girl who would like to move to California to achieve her dreams, but she realizes she should finish high school first. I see a girl who gets jealous very easily. I see a girl who has an extreme passion for animals, loves to sing and dance, and loves the color red. I see a lonely girl with no siblings so she spends a lot of time talking on the phone with her friends. That is the girl I see in the mirror.


When I look in the mirror, I see someone who pretends to be happy for the sake of others. When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who walks places and forgets why he went there. I see a boy who can’t remember to do anything. I see somebody who is afraid of losing the people he loves.


looking in the mirror, I see a girl who has been blessed by the Lord but does not really know. I see a girl who will get up one day and change the world when God’s time comes. I see a girl who is trying to fight the things that fight her. I see a girl who is insecure and trying to fight her way through that. I see a girl who the Lord loves and is shining His light down on her. I see a girl who is still in search but will soon find her way. I see a girl who loves her family and other loved ones and a girl who doubts a lot but needs to know that God is in control. I see a girl who loves the Almighty God.


When I look in the mirror, I see a child. I see a child who runs from what is hard. I see a child who blinds himself to the needs of others. I see a child who is afraid. When I look in the mirror, I see a man. I see a man unafraid of manual labor. I see a man who is open minded. When I look in the mirror, I see me.


When I look in the mirror, I see a happy girl. I see a girl who is blessed with many opportunities to success in life. I see a strong willed who is going after those opportunities. I see someone willing to risk everything to be with God in Heaven. But when I look at myself, I see that most of these things are what I hope to be, but yet don’t know where to start. When I truly look at myself, I see someone who gives a smile to hide a million tears. I see someone who has doubts about the future. I see someone who fears for what is about to happen, yet acts like she has everything under control. I see someone who believes in God, but her faith is shaken everyday with trials life has to offer. Lastly I see someone who is hesitant and scared to leave my life and everyone and go to Heaven.

When I look in the mirror… I see a girl who has doubts about what she wants to do in life. She may look tough by not caring what everybody thinks about her, but really she does. I am a girl who isn’t afraid to stand up to an adult if I really have to, but when it comes to my mom, I feel like I am trapped in a box. Whatever comes out of my mouth, she never listens to me. I try hard to please her, but whatever I do, she can always find a flaw in me. I also see myself not wanting to be Asian at times. People tend to make jokes about my eyes. I feel put down which makes me want to be a white American or anything but Asian. So I look at myself again and realize that God created me, my friends, and family and they matter to me they most and they love my personality. Who couldn't love my smile?

Applicable quote of the day:
"The best mirror is an old friend."
Peter Nivio Zarlenga


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com

E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: