Sunday, March 02, 2014

I AM........Closing Chapter


My classes just finished studying the seven I AM statements Jesus made in the Gospel of John. (Recently, Karen Long, my fellow WCS faculty member, noted that in John 10:36, Jesus reminded the leaders that He had stated, "I am the Son of God.") If you aren't familiar with them, here they are!
I am the bread of life.
I am the true vine.
I am the good shepherd.
I am the gate for the sheep.
I am the light of the world.
I am the resurrection and the life.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

I gave my students the assignment of coming up with their own I AM statements which would define them. This is the final night of seven postings. They are brutally honest and all are used with permission, boys in blue and girls in pink.

I am the boy who is lonely because I tend to be too full of myself.
I am the boy who cares more about grades than emotional well-being.
I am the boy whose curiosity causes him to blurt out in the middle of class.
I am the boy who feels guilt because of his hypocrisy.
I am the boy who is indecisive.

I am the girl who is curious to know Jesus.
I am the girl who is waiting for Prince Charming.
I am the girl obsessed with looks.
I am the boy who carries out the words of God.
I am the boy who has not seen his mom since he was two years old.
I am the boy with fake friends who continues to have them around.
I am the boy who loves God, family, basketball, and chess
.

I am the boy with infectious laughter.
I am the mixed boy with two personalities.

I am the boy who is an artist with little creativity.
I am a boy who is a gifted gamer.
I am the girl who is always the third wheel.
I am the girl who is insecure about herself.
I am the girl who loves to sing but never has the courage.

I am the girl who loves and cares about God.
I am the girl who is bad at English.

I am the boy with two real friends.
I am the boy who people call stupid for pursuing his passion.
I am the boy who does not have the best grades but is very intelligent.

I am the boy with anxiety who cannot function normally.
I am the boy who lets opportunities slip away.
I am the boy who does not want to fade into obscurity.
I am the girl who gets talked about in the hallways.
I am the girl who got teased alot.
I am the girl who loves her boyfriend's smile.
I am the girl whose heart has been broken.
I am the girl not as wise as her mom.
I am the girl who has not been baptized yet.
I am the girl who loves purple.
I am the girl not afraid to be in a camp full of boys.

I am the boy who hides everything to get by.
I am the boy who can look life in the eyes, dead on.
I am the boy who is defiance personified.
I am the boy who wants the world to leave him alone.
I am the boy who wants to fix what is broken beyond repair- his life.

I am the good girl surrounded by temptations.
I am the girl who should start speaking her mind.
I am the girl who is treated like she is younger than she really is.

I am the girl who sometimes wishes she were a different race.
I am the girl afraid to speak up to her parents.
I am the girl who loves to laugh.
I am the girl who wants to respect her family, friends, and teachers.
I am the girl who is an only child and lonely all the time.
I am the girl with imperfections.
I am the girl who is a singer but she doesn't think she's good enough.
I am the girl with a passion for animals.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com







No comments: