Thursday, February 27, 2014

I AM .........Page VI


My classes just finished studying the seven I AM statements Jesus made in the Gospel of John. (Recently, Karen Long, my fellow WCS faculty member, noted that in John 10:36, Jesus reminded the leaders that He had stated, "I am the Son of God.") If you aren't familiar with them, here they are!
I am the bread of life.
I am the true vine.
I am the good shepherd.
I am the gate for the sheep.
I am the light of the world.
I am the resurrection and the life.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

I gave my students the assignment of coming up with their own I AM statements which would define them. Over several nights, I will post some of them. They are brutally honest and all are used with permission, boys in blue and girls in pink.

I am the boy who needs an open father.
I am the boy who needs to be pure around women.
I am the boy who needs to stop being jealous and greedy.
I am the boy who is an idiot.

I am the girl who is scared to stand up.
I am the girl who is self conscious about her weight.
I am the girl who get upset when people base friendship on physical characteristics and profanity.
I am the girl who is who she is and should be proud.

I am the boy who struggles through life.
I am the boy who sticks to God even when persecuted.

I am the boy who carries his Bible and no one cares.
I am the boy who is peer pressured by desire.

I am the girl with no parents.
I am the girl who needs a father.
I am the girl who loves to dance.

I am the girl who rarely gets a break.
I am the girl who found her true friends when she changed schools.
I am the girl who tries to set a good example for her younger sibling.
I am the girl who is becoming closer to God
.
I am the boy who is a bull in a china shop.
I am the Hispanic boy who cannot speak Spanish.

I am the boy who is his own enemy.
I am the boy scared of his future and potential.
I am the boy who would be better off if I had not found basketball.

I am the girl who is the meaning of her name.
I am the girl searching for her landing point in life.
I am the girl who can be trusted.
I am the girl others think they know but they know nothing about.
I am the girl who wants to be enough for the standards of society.
I am the girl who ends up in the wrong crowd.
I am the girl who is scared of love and trust.
I am the girl who heals others and then he
rself.
I am the girl who always tries too hard and fails.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-ail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


No comments: