Sunday, January 21, 2018

The First Day Of The Week

We still have our Sunday basketball ministry with folks whose roots are in China! This is from January 5, 2014.
As you know if you are a regular reader, our congregation worships in English, Spanish, and Chinese. Besides being part of our English speaking group, I work with, and have for twelve years, our Chinese speaking fellowship. We have a rotating schedule allowing all three language groups to worship although the Chinese meet in the Fireplace Room due to smaller numbers. Part of our evangelistic outreach has to do with basketball. Every Sunday, we open up the gym at Westbury Christian School to the Chinese community to play some hoops. Our minister, David Fang, delivers a Bible message during a break in the action. This past week, David asked me if I would be the speaker today, the first Sunday of the new year. I was honored and spoke about how my faith is based largely on the way I was raised, how believing in God came as naturally as breathing and speaking English. We know what we are exposed to. I related how I can't do anything on my cell phone but my great nephew, Bennett, can because he has been around electronics all of his six years. The players, close to twenty in number, were receptive and two asked for my FACEBOOK info- I'm creeping towards 5,000! When I finished my short talk, Shimin, the guy in the orange shirt in the middle, led the closing prayer. Shimin is a member of our congregation. Guess where he learned the good news about Jesus Christ? Jesus told us to go into all the world and preach the Gospel. I think the Lord would include basketball courts as part of that directive!

Applicable quote of the day:

"Of one the Lord has made the race,
Through one has come the fall:
Where sin has gone must go His grace;
The Gospel is for all."

J.M. McCaleb

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: