Thursday, February 15, 2018

One Soul


This entry, from January 28, 2014, is about one of my favorite hymns!
Yesterday, we had our first hymn of the year as a memory verse in all five of my classes. It's one of my favorites, Lead Me To Some Soul Today by Will H. Houghton. The grades were excellent. I think the students like the idea of hymns because of the rhyme scheme and the more predictability of the words and sentiments. I'm not sure any had ever heard it before, which is a shame because the tune by Wendell Loveless, is easy to sing and has beautiful harmony. The hymn goes like this:

Lead me to some soul today,
O teach me, Lord, just what to say;
Friends of mine are lost in sin,
And cannot find their way.
Few there are who seem to care,
And few there are who pray;
Melt my heart, and fill my life,
Give me one soul today.


We talked about being surrounded by people who are lost or at least suffering through horrible circumstances not of their own making; I used examples from youngsters who have sat in my classes and played on my teams. I told them how my mom, dad, and I almost lost my younger brother, Scott, in a blizzard out in western Nebraska on a snow blinded state highway. I also related that while I sing the hymn with them, it's hard for me in good conscience to make that petition as my daily task is the souls in front of me in class and standing with me in a basketball huddle. We cannot isolate ourselves as believers. The lost need a light to find their way and Jesus told us that we are the light of the world. Proverbs 11:30 teaches that, 'the one who is wise saves lives.' We could stand an outbreak of wisdom.

Applicable quote of the day:

''The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost.''
Gilbert K. Chesterton


To listen to Lead Me To Some Soul Today, copy and paste the link below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1GcJdvAuM

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: