Saturday, February 03, 2018

Cups And Consequences

I admire those with the dexterity to do the cup game! This is from January 18, 2014.
Three days and sometimes four days a week, I lift weights at Chancellor's, my fitness club. Invariably, a local radio station, 99.1, is playing so I hear a great deal of repetitive music. One song I've heard repeatedly is You're Gonna Miss
Me When I'm Gone, the version by Anna Kendrick. I later learned it's also known as The Cup Song, based on Kendrick's audition the movie Pitch Perfect which I have not seen and I know you are shocked. Last week, I stumbled across the YouTube version linked below. I always show some sort of clip in class and I knew the kids would like it because I've seen our middle school kids do the cup thing at lunch on the cafeteria tables. From what I can gather, the video was shot at a summer family encampment in Ireland which stresses keeping the traditional Gaelic from dying out by activities and classes. I would guess I am 1/4 Irish but that part is not really intriguing to me. What is intriguing is that I heard my dad express some regret that he did not learn Danish from his mom who spoke it as a child or his grandparents who were immigrants from Denmark and had Danish as their native tongue. I know we stress the learning of English to newcomers to the U.S. as we should to become assimilated as Americans but I have a tinge of sadness when I see more and more kids who cannot communicate at all in the language of their grandparents. We don't learn much by osmosis; most of what we know comes from deliberate teaching and emphasizing. That's what these long lost fortieth cousins of mine are doing in this clip. And while each of us has to have our own relationship with the Lord, the teaching of scripture from Christian parent to child is critical. Our kids should know the difference between the cup song and the cup Jesus asked His Father to take away in the Garden of Gethsemane. It needs to be modeled: Pass it on.

(Please copy and paste the link below!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-52PJKy3hV4

Applicable quote of the day:
"Let parents bequeath to their children not riches, but the spirit of reverence."
Plato


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: