Saturday, September 12, 2020

Red Alert




Did you know there is a National Redhead Day?  Our mother was a redhead although she passed the trait on to none of her children. American families have produced numerous notable redheads although that may soon become a thing of the past. Read the following, from August 26, 2007, to find out why!

There is a disturbing article in the latest National Geographic. Scientists are warning of the looming extinction of yet another breed: the redhead. Research into genetics give credence to the theory that the prevalent intermingling of ethnic groups could leave carrot-tops a thing of the past within several generations. Apparently, one carrier of the redhead gene can produce a similar complected offspring but the chances are terrifically increased if both parents are redheaded. It looks like the last bastion is Scotland where 13% of the population is redheaded while 40% carry the gene. That sounds right- the last redheaded female student in my class was Allison Hughes whose folks are Scottish. I hope for the preservation of the species she marries a nice red haired lad!

American culture has been blessed with a number of prominent redheads; comedienne Lucille Ball, basketball legend Bill Walton, fast food magnate Ronald McDonald. I have had my share of encounters. Three of my high school girl basketball players- Melissa Wright, Jenny Fowler, Mitzi Williams- had red locks as did two of my high school baseball athletes, Johnny Williams and Danny Cozart. Two young ladies I dated did as well. (I'm using discretion by not using names in case they would not choose to be linked with me.) Most importantly, my mother had red hair in her youth so I may possess the chromosome as well. Could redheads die out totally? People are having fewer kids and like I said, fewer redheads are marrying each other. They may have something to do with their own survival! Personally, I'm skeptical of the demise of redheads. As a group, they are far more resilient than scientists give them credit for. Maybe it's like Christianity. Sages in the past have believed the followers of Jesus would die off or at least lose importance in modern society but it hasn't happened. Like redheads, Christians should stand out and be easily recognizable in our culture. We also have been given the responsibility of passing our beliefs on to others, insuring the multiplication of believers by teaching and witnessing as to what Jesus has done in our lives. My classes talked last week why the Scriptures don't reveal details about the appearance of the Galilean carpenter. I believe we would be inclined to follow those who resembled the man described by the gospel writers. My guess is they intentionally left that data out. You know, maybe Jesus had red hair! I hope you can see him in me. I hope I'm carrying the gene!


Applicable quote of the day:
"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead."
Lucille Ball


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at
shawley@westburychristian.org


No comments: