Monday, October 30, 2017

Automatic Reset


Less than a week from DST! This is from OCTOBER 27, 2013!
The best day of the year is only one week away. You now what it is- the advent of the latest Daylight Savings Time switch. This year it comes November 3 and actually, I found by googling the correct way to say it is that DST ends on November 3. Either way, it means an extra hour of sleep and with me, as it always coincided with the start of basketball season, it is most welcome! I've written before that I do not really understand how it works but I accept it. I heard a guy on the radio say something really dumb last year. He said, and it was about this time of year, "The days are starting to get shorter!" Listen, I'm no astronomer but even I know that every day from mid June to mid December is progressively shorter.

Besides the additional one hour of nocturnal bliss, there is one other reason I'm excited about the time change. This will sound idiotic to you but I know I can't be the only one in this category. You see, as of November 3, 2013 at 2 AM CST, the clock in my Honda Fit will again be accurate. That's right. Since March 10, 2013, my car clock has been one hour behind. Some years, I have my student teacher aide go to my car and change it- they can always figure it out- but for some reason, I didn't have Megan do it last spring. My mind gets used to calculating the hour difference and adjusts. (I need to make a confession here. The digital clock in my apartment is set 21 minutes ahead and has been for years and I'm not sure why.)

Some of you might think that is absolutely ridiculous and I don't blame you. Why don't I just get out the owner's manual and figure out how to reset the clock? Well, that would take a minute, maybe a couple of minutes- funny how it becomes a time issue. And I rationalize it by telling myself it isn't hurting me and eventually, it will correct itself. I would guess if I look at myself in the mirror of reality, I would discover other areas in which I employ a similar lifestyle strategy. We all know the excuses:
It's not that big a deal.
I'll get around to it.

I can live with it.

All of those are true with my clock and it's really a small matter. But in other segments of my existence, it can be deadly, especially in spiritual matters. Assuming there is more time or it's not that important or it will take care of itself can have eternal consequences. And I'm every pretty sure there's no reset every seven months in the afterlife.

Applicable quote of day:
"What interests me about clocks is that everything is hand-made, and yet to the person looking at the clock, something magical is happening that cannot be explained unless you are the clockmaker."
Brian Selznick


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: