Sunday, July 14, 2013

I WILL FOLLOW HIM (Ken Ellis)

Tonight is the third entry by my good friend, Ken Ellis, and again, it's terrific! Thanks for praying for me in Vietnam!
"To follow" means:  To come or go after; proceed behind; To accept the guidance, command, or leadership of (a counselor, advisor, spiritual leader); To take as a model or precedent; imitate.
You may recall a game called "Follow the Leader" that you played as a child.  The game requires a leader and several followers.  The followers have to do whatever the leader does exactly the same way the leader does it.  Anyone who doesn't follow exactly is out of the game.  The game is over when there is only one person left following the leader.

At the head of every successful company is a strong leader who has a vision of what he or she thinks the company should be.  A victorious army requires a leader who is willing to lead in the fiercest of battles.  Government and the church need strong leaders who are willing to make difficult decisions when required.  A family needs a husband who will lead. 

In the early Spring of last year, a female Mallard duck decided it would be a good idea to build her nest under a small spruce tree in our front yard.  Through one bout of snow, cold weather and rain she never budged, determined to keep her eggs warm.  When the ducklings hatched and were able to leave the nest, she took them for a walk across the street.  Dutifully they waddled in line closely behind her.  When she neared an open storm drain built into the curb, she stepped up and onto the curb.  The ducklings were too short to step up, and one by one they marched into the drain.  With my wife's help, I managed to lift the grate in front of the drain.  I jumped into the drain, caught the ducklings, and lifted them to safety where they immediately waddled to their upset mother.  

Yes, even the simple act of following a leader sometimes ends with unintended consequences.  Thus, it's important who we and our children follow in life.  As Christians we are blessed to have Jesus as our leader.  On many occasions during his life on earth, Jesus issued a plea to "Come, follow me."  He made it clear that there would be a price to pay for following Him.  "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  Mark 8:34.  Some immediately left their families and occupations and followed Him.  Others couldn't let go of their riches or daily walk and rejected His call.
As someone who enjoys "oldies" music, I'm reminded of some of the lyrics recorded by Little Peggy March, Leslie Gore, Petula Clark and others in a song titled I WILL FOLLOW HIM that just might have a spiritual application.

I will follow Him, follow Him wherever He may go,
And near Him, I always will be,
For nothing can keep me away, He is my destiny.
I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,
And where He goes, I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow
.
Who are you following?

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: