Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Lesson In Faith (Trina Agee Cornell)

For the second night in a row, we are blessed with thoughts from the pen of the wonderful Trina Agee Cornell of St. Louis! Please keep me in prayers as I'm on my fifth day of my adventure in the Lord in Vietnam!

As a teacher, I truly enjoy the dynamic of summer vacation.  it is a time to decompress, de-stress, and spend time with the people you love.  I started my second week of my summer vacation with a trip to East Tennessee.  My husband and I chose this location to celebrate our second wedding anniversary.  It is a place near and dear to my heart; I consider it a second home for me and my family.

As we eased down I-40 east, I received a phone call about a potential job opportunity; the principal shared with me that a decision would be made within the week, and I would be called with the results.  This news truly excited me - it was a teaching position that I would take in a heartbeat if offered.  My husband and I joyfully prayed to our Lord, thanking Him for the opportunity and trusting Him with the situation at hand.

Twenty-four hours later, we had not heard any news.  Mind you, I had my phone glued to my side - and on ring - ready and willing to take any call that came through.  My husband and I spent the day shopping; we came across a Christian outlet store that was going out of business.  We stopped by to take a look at the different sales that they had.  While perusing, we came across a set of wooden boxes, painted black, displaying quotes and Bible verses painted in white.  In looking through them, we came across one that said, "Let your faith be bigger than your fear."  This spoke to me in so many ways - especially considering the situation I was in.  I was fearful that the phone call I was waiting on would never come - or that I might receive some unfavorable news.  The message that this box shared with me focused on trusting God in the unknown parts of my life - He is in control, and I believed He would allow His will to be done.

Needless to say, we bought the painted box and put it up in our cabin.  In my times of weakness, I would consider the message and pray for strength and patience to endure.

Two days later, I still had not received my anticipated phone call.  After three days of anxiously waiting, it arrived - Friday morning.  A message was left, instructing me to call back.  When I made the phone call, the principal of the school answered - she shared with me that I had been selected to take on the teaching position at her school!  I could not have been happier - no one could take the smile off of my face!  I humbly and graciously thanked The Lord for His faithfulness - and His guidance.  The painted box proved its message true - trust in The Lord, and He will guide your steps.

"Trust in The Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all of your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: