Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Work In Progress

One of the benefits of my job is that I can always improve! This is from June 12, 2013.
I like to read stuff that challenges me in the arena of righteousness. Currently, I get a devotional delivered to my e-mail each morning from A.W. Tozer, one of my dad's favorite Christian writers, and some of the better ones make me uncomfortable. Like many of you, I'm partial to authors like Oswald Chambers and C.S. Lewis, even though I have to re-read many of the passages to try to comprehend their intent. (Just a thought- would I sell more books if I went by my initials? Would S.W. Hawley be more prolific in the sales department than plain old Steve?) I need to be pushed spiritually and these guys have that gift. Maybe I should say had as all of them have passed from this earth.

But sometimes, we get caught up with believing that deep and complicated are always synonyms. They aren't. That's one thing I love about teaching our little kids in basketball camp. We break it down into the simplest terms imaginable and it's amazing how effective teaching is when you reduce it to the most elemental skills and movements. For a long time, I've loved the childrens' hymn, He's Still Working On Me, which goes as follows:


CHORUS:
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

1. There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

CHORUS:

2. In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.

CHORUS:

I love how the author, Joel Hemphill, ties in Creation with the unfinished product that is me. In my heart, that is profound. I heard or read somewhere this week that the only part of God's Creation that does not work as intended at the Beginning is mankind- you and me. And yet, Our Heavenly Father refuses to chalk us up as lost causes or eternal mistakes. I must have listened to this song seven or eight times this week and it gives me comfort where sometimes Tozer or Lewis or Chambers do not. That's a blessing of being called Child of God.; we can have the faith of those who have yet to become jaded. And we have in our corners the only One who really matters.


To see and hear my favorite version of He's Still Working On Me, please copy and paste this link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjrqV-EOfg


Applicable quote of the day:
“We do not turn from our false gods to become God's children. We turn from them because we are.”
Kelly Minter


God bless,
Steve (or S.W.)
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: