Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Inaccessible


I've made progress since I wrote this on June 9, 2013! I've just passed my three month anniversary of having a cell phone. If it were a marriage, I'd use the term celebrate my anniversary but so far, with this phone, there really has not been any cause for rejoicing and there is only one place to put the blame. You see, the thought was that when I had the modern phone, I would be more accessible. I was wrong. When I had my land line, I also had a little pre-paid cell that I very rarely used, typically only when I went out of town in case there were emergencies, which there never were. Usually, I didn't even know where it was. I did all my calling on my regular phone. I'd check messages on it everyday when I'd arrive home from work. It was never unplugged and always rang faithfully when someone wanted my attention. Many people knew the number and it had my father's voice on the answering machine. But, I thought I could get a better deal and it was time to join the modern era so I willingly made the switch.

You know, old habits die hard. I rarely turned my pre-paid cell on and I never took it with me and it's carried over. I'll go two or three days without even turning on my AT+T LG phone. Not many folks know my number which thankfully also appears to apply to the unwanted solicitations! Truthfully, I'm kind of scared of this phone. When I got it back in March, I had my teacher's aide, the awesome Megan Hill, transfer the contact list from the pre-paid to my new cell because I didn't know how.....and still don't. I'm shaky on checking for messages, anyway, so unless I've got it turned on and in my hearing distance when there is a call, there's a 50-50 chance I'll miss whoever is trying to get in touch. I'm not saying I'm hopeless- there are plenty of folks who have offered to help me navigate these uncharted waters- but it probably is going to be painfully slow.

To be honest, I don't want to be like so many people I see who are riveted to their phones to the point I might use the term enslaved. I see it with our students- when the 3:25 PM bell rings, 95% of the high school kids get out their cells and check them. On the other hand, I don't need to isolate myself from the world. Just think; what if God shut down and didn't listen to our prayers for days at a time? Look what David penned about his pleas to the Father:
As for me, I call to God,
    and the Lord saves me.
 Evening, morning and noon
    I cry out in distress,
    and he hears my voice. (Psalm 55:16-17)


What a blessing that the One in Heaven always is available. If He took a vacation, the universe would crumble and we would perish in its destruction. But if we are faithful, He promises to hear AND answer. And, I'm fairly certain He knew my number even before I did. (Well, that's a bad example because I have to look it up.) We sang an old standard tonight in our worship. The second verse still goes like this:
There's not an hour that He is not near us;
No, not one. No, not one.
No night so dark but His love can cheer us;
No, not one. No, not one.
His line is open as it always has been. Just in case you might call, I think I'll turn mine on!

Applicable quote of the day:
Steve Largent

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: