Monday, June 17, 2013

In The Words Of Wesh


Two days ago, I received an e-mail from Heather Walker. Heather taught at WCS last year and it turned out to be her only year. A graduate of Harding University, near the foothills of the Ozarks, Heather lived for a year in Haiti post graduation and fell in love with the land and the people. Touched by their plight, Heather, who has a science background, is returning to Harding to become a physician's assistant so she can move permanently to Haiti, to the glory of God and the betterment of the children. I was part of one mission  to Haiti with Hope For Haiti's Children and I know what a tough world it is. With no further ado but with a great deal of admiration, here is what I received from my sister-in-Christ, Heather:
I know you are always looking for things to put in your blog. Here is a story I just typed up for a young man here at Canaan. He is only 15 years old, but he is definitely among the most mature and wise men I have ever met. I will be sharing this on my own blog for the summer, but I thought you might like to read it as well. I didn't edit it at all so there are a few errors, but English is not his first language. Hope your summer is going well! 

My name is Wesh Elisseau. I am 15 years old. This is my story.
           
            I was born in Port-au-Prince on December 5, 1997. As a baby, I got very sick. I got so sick my mother had to quit work to take care of me. However, I got sicker. My mother grew frightened. She thought that I was going to die. She fasted and prayed frequently. But it seemed like there wasn't any hope for me.

            One morning, my mother went outside to pray. She was praying for me. She didn't want me to die. She prayed, “Lord please heal my son. If it's your will for him to die, then so be it. But please, heal him...” At that very moment, I got out of the bed and walked to her. God healed me! She realized that God had a plan for me.

            I grew up in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Since I was only a young child I didn't realize that I was surrounded by poverty and crime. My parents did their best to keep my safe from worldly influences. They taught me Bible verses and made sure that I went to church.

However, things were getting out of control. Young cildren were carrying weapons and were causing a lot of trouble. My parents did not want me to be involved in these acts. They grew really frightened and wanted to move me out of Cite Soleil. My parents finally heard of a Christian orphanage called Canaan in Montrouis. So on August 15, 2002, when I was five years old, I came to live at Canaan.

            At first, I didn't know that I was going to live at Canaan. I only thought that I'd stay for a few days. When I finally realized that I was staying I cried really hard. Why would my parents do that to me? Do they still love me?
           
            I eventually got used to living at Canaan. I started to learn English. Surprisingly, I learned how to speak English very quickly. In all my school work, I made sure that I did everything perfectly. However the most important thing that I learned at Canaan and I am still learning right now is to be like Christ. I have learned how to be a better Christian and I have learned to surrender all to Christ.

            On November 27, 2007, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. It has been wonderful ever since. I now have someone to talk to, to share my feelings, and to be with me always. Last year in 2012, I got baptized. At first, I thought that baptism was unnecessary. However, as I read my Bible, the Holy Spirit changed my thinking and convicted me of my guilt. I just couldn't resist.

            God has been wonderful to me. He has given me a great desire to learn. I really enjoy school and I love learning new facts. I can truly say that it's been a blessing living at Canaan. God has given me a wonderful family to love and to care for m. I'm really glad that He has given me Sister Gladys and Pastor Henri. These two people have been awesome to me. With their help, I have done and learned many things.


            Now, these are the questions that bug me the most. What does the future hold for me? Will I have a successful life? I don't know. However, I know that God is faithful. He has everything in control and in His hands. I don't need to worry. He will take good care of me. I know that He has a great plan for me and I also know that He has started a good work in me. The Bible says that He started the good work in you and you will be faithful enough to complete it, This is where I put my trust.   

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish my faith was as strong as this kid.

Unknown said...

I wish my faith was as strong as this kid.