Monday, March 18, 2013

Coach Jesus




I'm trying to get my students to flesh out how they perceive Jesus as a person based on what they see in our readings or what they believe about what they have heard concerning the Messiah. I try to make Jesus, who was a carpenter , real as it relates to their society. Today, I had all of my classes answer this question: 
What kind of coach would Jesus be?

 Here are some responses. All are used by permission and I allowed the students, if they chose, to pick a specific sport. These are a combination of eighth grade and high school students, with girls in pink and boys in blue. We will post more of these for several days!

I believe Jesus would make a good coach! He would play everyone equally. He would not say unkind words. Jesus would not care if His team won or lost. I think He would want Christians and non-Christians on His team, with the Christians helping and supporting the non-Christians. I think Jesus' coaching job as like Undercover Boss. Coaching would be His day job and He would be the Savior at night, kind of like Batman. Jesus would recruit anyone and everyone for His team. When we think of Jesus, we often think of a calm guy with a beard but we see the temple scene where He gets mad. I believe with the right reasons, Jesus would yell and get mad. Jesus spent time with sinners constantly- it hurt His reputation. I have no doubt He would do it again, no questions asked. -Maggie

I think Jesus would be a weird football coach. Imagine a football coach who didn't curse, never guilted his players, and never lost his temper. But, I don't necessarily think He would be a gentle coach. We see multiple instances when Jesus became extremely agitated, although always for good reasons. Jesus was also extremely confrontational, especially with those who thought they knew more than He did, like the Pharisees and Sadducees. Jesus would be quick and decisive in handling problems. He taught doing your best so I think He would coach to the best of His abilities, which means He would not play all the players equally. -Nathan

I don't think Jesus would be the best coach for me. I like coaches who are in your face and might even make kids cry. I like being told that I can't make because I try even harder. Jesus would be the kind of coach who would treat everyone with respect. I don't believe He would ever lose His temper with a child. Even though I don't think Jesus' methods would match my specific needs, I think He would have very good game plans. He would be a great strategist and have perfect mental toughness in whatever sport He coached. The only reason I would not want Jesus to be my coach is that He would never be able to bring out the best in me. -Eric

I think Jesus would be a terrible coach! Jesus just doesn't seem to be aggressive enough for an intense game. I can't see Jesus yelling at His players like a coach would. Jesus probably wouldn't have a good team- He tells us that we should not judge so He could not scout for players. Jesus wouldn't scream at a player for accidentally missing a shot. I also couldn't picture Jesus on a basketball court in a robe and sandals, anyway! -Caitlyn

I think if Jesus were a coach for a golf team that is giving glory to God, He would be great! He would help the golfers not even on His team because everyone is equal in His eyes and He loves everyone. He would not yell out commands or cheat to win. He would get His players to do their best. Jesus would recruit players even if they are sinners because He would try to save them. He would pray for His team and with them. -Justin

Applicable quote of the day:
"
Lovie Smith and I are not only the first two African-Americans but Christian coaches showing that you can win doing it the Lord's way and we're more proud of that."


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: