Friday, March 22, 2013

Coach Jesus (The Third Period)




I'm trying to get my students to flesh out how they perceive Jesus as a person based on what they see in our readings or what they believe about what they have heard concerning the Messiah. I try to make Jesus, who was a carpenter , real as it relates to their society. Today, I had all of my classes answer this question: 
What kind of coach would Jesus be?

 Here are some responses. All are used by permission and I allowed the students, if they chose, to pick a specific sport. These are a combination of eighth grade and high school students, with girls in pink and boys in blue. This is the third installment!

                      

If Jesus had to be my coach, I believe it would be good and bad. He would be a very encouraging coach and keep the players feeling good. He would not be tough enough, though. Coaches have to sometimes be demanding to get a player to pick it up. He would have to be able to get competitive in big games and I just don’t think He would do that. When a player is having a bad game, He would have to take him out to do what is best for the team. I personally would need a coach to get on me when I’m not on my game and I feel He would be too nice when you’re not doing your job.
-Evony Nelson


I don’t think Jesus  would be a good coach. It would be just unfair because He can predict everything. It would really defeat the purpose, considering that it is a mortal game against the one we praise. I couldn't see Jesus getting angry for a player making a mistake, because He knows nobody is perfect. Also,  Jesus’ team would never lose because He can predict anything, and there would probably be a plethora of kids that would want to play for His team. Plus, He would have to deny the kids because a roster only can only be a limited amount of players on His team.
                                    -Galen Robinson


I don’t think Jesus would be a good coach. He is too soft on what He says and how He says it. Also, Jesus would already know the outcome of the game so He would basically cheat the players. If the players tried their hardest yet Jesus knows a week ahead before of the game that they are going to lose, then why play? It’s also the exact same question if He knew in advance if they were going to win. Jesus also would have a nice half-time talk but I don’t think it would motivate the players. If Jesus told football players to “be fair” or “treat others how you want to be treated,” they wouldn't listen to him because the only thing they want to do is win. If Jesus were to coach golf, He would be perfect because golf and football are two different sports with two different aspects of coaching. My point is, Jesus should not coach aggressive sports.
                                    -Cydney Stevenson


Coach Jesus would be a good coach, yet bad at the same time. He carries qualities that all coaches have, but also lacks qualities. Jesus would be caring towards His players and would be patient with them when they mess up. He wants them to try their best but I don’t think He would ever yell at a player. When a player keeps messing up, he needs a coach to ride him to get his head back in the game, and play better. A player will try harder when there’s a coach who gets on him when he plays sloppy. I’m not saying He wouldn't be a good coach; I just don’t think he would be suitable for coaching.
                                    -Jacob Strom


I think Jesus would be a good coach. For my example, he would coach football like Coach O (WCS Football track/coach Kenneth Okwuono). I think He would not care if they win or lose. I think He would even let failing students play and He would be a fair coach, but He would say the quote to His team: “If you are going to stay, be committed, don’t give in.” I think He would work at a public school, able to expect anything. He wouldn't be too competitive towards others. I think He would make sure everyone had a chance to play. Also, I think He would be a strict coach.
                                    -Kennedy McFerren

Applicable quote of the day:

Paul Bear Bryant

*photo from www.123rf.com*

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: