Sunday, January 15, 2017

Real. Comfortable. Jeans.




It's amazing what makes middle school girls happy! This is from January 25, 2013.
I just walked in from our girls' high school basketball game versus Fort Bend Christian. It was a good game but the Eagles, now 35-0, defeated our WCS squad which plays very hard. Something was different about me tonight, though, at least to the seven girls on my middle school team who also were in the crowd. They all came over to see me just because........I was wearing blue jeans. They were giving me high fives and telling their friends because none of them had ever seen me in Levis, which I happened to purchase several weeks ago using a gift card that had been a Christmas present from one of the players. I can't tell you why I stopped wearing jeans years ago but my awesome sister-in-law Sally told me at Christmas I needed to buy a pair and I always listen to Sally. My players were so excited- I'm not sure why- but one of them said something I won't soon forget:
"Coach, we've never seen you wear real clothes before!"

This is what is amazing; I wear the very same thing every morning to practice with the exception of shorts instead of the aforementioned blue jeans. And yet that one alteration left a bunch of 6-8th graders in shock.....and ecstatic! 

We don't always realize how much others notice the changes in us. How about something that is eternally important when we are kinder or more patient or increase our generosity? What if we clothe ourselves in righteousness instead of a new pair of pants? We could really change the world if we simply change more than our jeans. Tonight's title is from a Brett Favre television commercial for Wrangler's. Maybe I'll start a few pickup football games in the mud wearing my new jeans. Maybe I'll get rich and famous like Brett and get commercials of my own! Or maybe, I can just improve the characteristics of me that need alterations. There's never a back order when we put on Christ- and He always fits.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Guys will take one pair of jeans, five T-shirts and three pair of socks and that'll get you by for 10 weeks."

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: